Monday, June 29, 2026

Summer Has Arrived


One of the most visual ways to know that summer has arrived in our area is blooming crape myrtles.  They've been close to flowering for the last couple of weeks but in the last two days the blossoms have burst forth.  

Our's happens to be this deep rosy pink color but others around town are blue-violet, pale pink, a vivid red violet, and white.


A couple of weeks back, DH re-did the bed in front of our front porch.  The aging, overgrown hostas had been attacked below ground by the voracious moles that bedevil homeowners here.  

These new hostas are planted inside flexible stainless steel mesh bags to protect them from any future mole invasions.

(to help you visualize - each bag fits perfectly inside a 5-gallon paint bucket)

Several of the displaced hostas were relocated into the large above ground pots in our back yard and our next door neighbor gave the rest of them new homes.


The hanging basket purchased for this hook back in the early spring did not thrive; so when I found this trailing mandevilla much like the one that did so well last year, I bought it.  So far it seems very happy.

The outdoor plants are holding their own but with the temperatures now settled in the mid to upper 90s with humidity in that same range, I am staying indoors as much as possible.  


I've finished my DIY wreck this journal project, the one I named Bricolage  (in art or literature, construction or creation from a diverse range of available things).

This page follows the title page.


And those arrows point to this facing page.

I'm happy to report that I actually followed these directions (more or less).


When I first read this prompt, I immediately thought of the rhyming book we read over and over again with Young Man.  


I just couldn't resist the idea so I went with it.


I've previously shared the two page spreads for pink, red, blue, orange, black/white, and yellow.  This is the spread for green.


I really enjoyed creating the journal spreads that were filled with so many random bits and pieces.


Highlighters and a permanent black ink pen were the tools for this spread.


I clearly do a better job of quilting my liberated nested spirals than I do drawing them on paper; but even with the sticking pen issues, I like the way this turned out.

* * *


My next studio goal is to piece the backing for Paint Party (Macnas series no. 12/13) and get the quilt sandwich pin basted.  

I'd love to have the quilt finished before month end but I'm not going to get too upset if the finish runs over a day or two into July. 

(and yes, this backing yardage is a different  fabric than the one I had set aside earlier)


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"There are no wrong turns.  Only paths we had not known we were meant to walk."
Guy Gavriel Kay

5 comments:

Millie said...

Well of course the backing fabric changed over time. That happens rather frequently here.

Garden and yard look great.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

The crape myrtle is beautiful. I believe the ones I saw in NC were the blue violet. I didn't realize there were so many different colors of them.
I'm curious, will the stainless steel mesh bags for the hostas keep the plants smaller because the roots will be restricted? I've heard about moles and voles but so far haven't had any on my property.

Dreaming said...

I love your journal pages. I enjoy journaling but if I'm blogging, I tend not to journal, and vice versa. We will be taking a trip this fall and I will probably record the highlights in a journal.....or not!!!

MissPat said...

Crape Myrtles aren't hardy up here. They look like a summer version of lilacs. I haven't issues with voles eating hosta roots, but the moles leave tunnels everywhere. Deer are a bigger problem with my hostas and day lilies. Despite having sprayed deer repellent twice in the last 3 week, when I went out this morning, both the day lily buds, which were just about to open, and some of the hosta had been munched. That backing is a perfect match as always. The benefits of a deep stash.
Pat

Anonymous said...

I love the whole series you've done, using various colors/prints, etc., of scraps to make wonderful quilts. I think the names you've given each is also a big part of the fun. I'm going to incorporate your ideas into making more generational quilts for future family where we might not be here when the totes are opened, viewed & given to them. I've been making lots of those quilts with scraps (50+ year quilter here), but the way you put yours together is magical! Thanks for sharing. Deb / N. Calif.