Monday, April 22, 2024

Macnas - the Quilt


Macnas (Irish for playfulness) is finished and I LOVE IT!

After quilting it measures 48" wide x 69" long.


Quilted with my liberated all-over free motion spiral fans using Glide thread in Willow.

(I used a total of 468 rectangles cut 2.5" x 4.5" then laid out 26 wide by 18 long)


Backed with Kaffe Fassett's Oriental Trees from his December 2022 collection named "85 and Fabulous."

(Macnas was started in early 2022)


I took this picture just after the binding (Jason Yenter's 2020 Urban Jungle) was finished . . . Who knew that in my effort to use up a big pile of leftover scrappy green and light neutral 2.5" strips would evolve into such a terrific quilt!



p.s.  The dryer is fixed - it was the thermal fuse.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Creativity is a wild mind and a disciplined eye."
Dorothy Parker

17 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

I love this!

cityquilter grace said...

i don't necessarily gravitate toward green but this is really pretty...so have to rethink....and the name is perfect!

Millie said...

Love this too.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I can totally see why you love this quilt, Julie. Those scrappy greens are gorgeous!!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

There is something so soothing about green quilts.
I'm glad to hear the dryer is fixed. It's a real pain being without one for any length of time.

JustGail said...

I may have to make another green quilt. Or a blue version. Or red. Or purple. Or... And that's the perfect backing too!
Yay!!! for the dryer being fixed!

Julierose said...

Ohmygosh, QDJulie, another beautiful finished quilt..Macnas is lovely!! You are on a finishing roll for sure. I am still slowly (but joyfully) stitching away on my Christmas Ojos--i find the handwork just so calming...hugs, Julierose

JustGail said...

I forgot to say the way those dark green patches make me see diamonds fading in & out - Sweet!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Such a fresh and vibrant quilt! The greens almost glow. Great color picks. It is amazing that a humble design can spark so much beauty. Great job! Quilting looks wonderful. I have not tried Willow. I will put it on my list.

Barbara Anne said...

Applause, applause, both for the glorious and finished Macnas quilt but also for the fixed dryer - yipeeee!!!

Hugs!

Charlotta said...

It’s a fabulous quilt. It reaffirms my belief that 2.5” x 4.5” is a great size for scraps. I’m always trying to figure out what sizes to cut my scraps, and I don’t want to cut them into a whole lot of different sizes. I think that is a very versatile scrap!

Vicki W said...

That's definitely a winner!

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Macnas says "spring" to me.

Mari said...

So fresh and springy! Fits the season perfectly.

Nann said...

Macnas indeed! Shows again what happens with delightfully complex prints, good light/dark contrast, and simple piecing. Bravo!

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Beautiful! I love all the scrappy greens together. And the backing is perfect for it. Well done!

Mystic Quilter said...

Great finish and perfect backing fabric!