Monday, June 8, 2026

Here and There and Back Again


Each spring, after the worst of pollen season has passed, we celebrate our Annual Bottle Washing Day. 

Typically the bottles remain on the bottle tree year round but last winter they were removed before the ice storm to prevent broken glass from being part of the inevitable tree debris clean up.

Last Saturday I spent the morning washing the bottles and getting them back on the tree - it is so good to see them sparkling in the sunshine once again.


After getting Xanadu's back pieced, pressed, and rolled onto a pool noodle, I spent an hour or so prepping a new journal project.  

I used this wild and crazy duct tape on the front and back covers. 


I used ordinary masking tape as labels in keeping with the "not too precious" nature of this project.


And since I had just finished with the blue index cards, I used the leftovers plus a few more bits and pieces on this "blue" two page spread.  


I didn't use a lot of Keri's prompts and used more of my own to make this evening playtime project truly mine.

* * *

The big goal this week is to pin baste Xanadu (thank you for all the comments) and get it quilted/finished while also keeping up with the usual household activities.  

DH and I also spent a morning cleaning out four overstuffed file cabinet drawers filled with cables, adapters, wires, chargers, and other random tech stuff.  There are now two partially-filled drawers with neatly labeled files and the rest sorted into zipper pouches (like with like). 

Before the now-predicted 10 days of dreary/gray/semi-rainy days, we were scheduled to have part of our driveway torn out/replaced.  Fingers crossed it isn't too wet for the crew to work.  But if it ends up being next week it has already been quite a while since the damage occurred so a few more days won't make that much difference.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"It is better to be absolutely ridiculous rather than absolutely boring."
Marilyn Monroe

7 comments:

Nann said...

What a great theme for the journal! I look forward to seeing how you create the rest of the pages. The bottle tree is so whimsical. I just had a mental image of a collagey-type fabric background with bright bottle shapes appliqued....

Julierose said...

Love your "Wreck" of a Journal (hahaha) QDJulie..it is really lovely...
I am struggling with trying to learn to collage these days; my question is: "if you like it why cover it up???" But, of course, I realize that that is the point, really. Trying to find my own way... I think quilting and showcasing lovely fabrics all this time has led me to think in one way. It is a new challenge for me for sure....
but a fun one...
Love the blue and green bottle trees...did they start out those colors? hugs, Julierose

iHanna said...

Love that you're creating your own Wreck this journal ideas, that's so fun. It makes me want to create a glue book of prompts for myself too?!

The bottle tree idea is,super fun too.

Juliann said...

Love your bottle tree and your own version of Wreck this Journal!

Kathy S. said...

Your bottle tree colors match your journal colors. Every time I clean out my electronics drawer of obsolete cords and chargers, my husband grabs it out of the trash and adds it to his collection. At least it out of my way. Someday he'll be able to help the Smithsonian out when they are missing a piece of history. lol.

Linda Swanekamp said...

We don't have much of a pollen problem- a little bit for a little while. However, even though I can't see where any of them live, the cottonwood trees are shedding big time and the fluff is everywhere and the worst is when it gets in your eyes and nose- it is like fiberglass! Love all the blues and ideas in your journal.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Enjoy your fun new journaling adventure, Julie!