Friday, June 5, 2026

Xanadu - the Flimsy


It was past time to finish pressing the blocks for Xanadu, especially since this gift quilt is to be delivered mid-June.

There are 432 die-cut 3" HSTs  in five color groups sewn into 108 six-inch blocks on the plates.


This is the resulting quilt top - 54" x 72" before quilting.


Here's a detail photo so you can see more of the individual fabrics.

(The consistent "white" fabric is from the ‘On Dragonfly Wings’ collection - Splatter in White/Pearl by Ann Lauer of Grizzly Gulch Gallery for Benartex)


The fabric on the right is in the process of becoming a backing for Xanadu.

It's a very good thing I decided back in January 2025 when I pulled the fabrics for this quilt that it would be gifted, since I absolutely LOVE the way it is coming together.  ðŸ˜Ž

(the name Xanadu was inspired by the backing fabric's selvage - another design by Ann Lauer of Grizzly Gulch Gallery for Benartex)

* * *

Next steps will be to get the top and back pin basted, choose a thread color, wind the bobbins, and get Max fired up and ready to quilt.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"I think there is something very special about handmade work.  You can appreciate the thought, detail, and time that have been invested into creating something amazing, whether it is great or small.  In my opinion, handmade goods are accessible works of art."
Tami Gagne

14 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

ooh really pretty!

Julierose said...

So many HST's in Xanadu, QDJulie--beautiful workmanship :)))
What a lovely gift--nice work hugs, Julierose

Cherie Moore said...

Lovely….and not rectangles ;-). It is such a fun, happy quilt and I’m sure it will bring joy to the recipient.

Nancy said...

That’s an impressive number of HST‘s! And your points stayed pointy. Also impressive. Your other finishes are too. You are on a roll. Hanabi has great prints, and you’re right about the backing. Love your bunny friend and that’s a cute pic of Young Man, who is really growing fast. Have a good weekend.

Ginny Clyne said...

The quilt top is gorgeous, I would love it. So much work, but the backing just makes my heart flutter. The colors in the backing makes me desire to find that material.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love an orderly triangle quilt, all marching in the same direction.

Dreaming said...

Holy HST's! However did you decide on the final layout? I think it would have given me a headache! It's gorgeous! (And the backing is scrumptious!)

Millie said...

What Wanda said...

Helenchaffin said...

you threw me a crub with the triangles 😄 it turned out great,luv the backing choice

Linda Swanekamp said...

Just very fresh and crisp looking. The colors work so well with each other and the background. I have been sewing scrap HST blocks as leader enders for over a year for Sugar Grove (Bonnie Hunter) and would love to have more progress on it. It takes 72 blocks and I have 38 done.

Charlotta said...

Xanadu is another fabulously gorgeous quilt. I love how you say that it’s a good thing you’d already decided to give it away because you’re really starting to like it! I assume you mean that you’re growing fond of it so you’re afraid you’d keep it if you had not already decided to give it away?
I know what you mean! I usually love the quilt I’ve just finished most of all, and want to hold on to it. But it keeps happening, so as I make more quilts, the quilts I’ve made a few years ago, even though I loved them dearly when they were newly finished, become easier to part with as newer quilts take the top spot. That means I always have at least a couple of quilts somewhere I can use as quilts. Usually I finished them a while ago, but that doesn’t mean they are “used quilts.” They’ve just been hanging out at my house while I loved them, waiting until my heart was ready to let them go.

Vicki W said...

It's a party in a quilt! A very nicely organized party quilt.

Barb N said...

SO MANY HSTs!!! And they go together so well. I'm loving the backing fabric - that will really set it off!

Nann said...

You're dishing up another glorious quilt. Do you know about Ann Lauer's work in Uganda? She's helping women gain economic self-sufficiency with sewing.