Wednesday, May 28, 2025

Moving Things Forward


I've had a couple of very productive days in the studio.

I've sewn together the first two rows for Rubricate, one of my Macnas series quilts (number 4 of 12).


I've also sewn the binding on June's new dining room wall quilt (left) and the first of the June utility mats (namely the runner for the cedar chest and two of the six placemats).


I went ahead and got the fabrics for Night Owl cut so the yardage could be re-shelved.

While I was cutting these rectangles for Night Owl's Crossroads design . . . 


. . . I cut squares from the leftover strip sections.  I'll use them to make yet another aboriginal fabric quilt top following the design used for Spoondrift (inspired by a free download - click HERE).

I've named this new project KOMOREBI (the effect of sunlight filtering through the trees).  The green aboriginal dot by KFC will be used for the corner triangles - at least that's the plan for now.

Nann asked that I share a photo of the leftover aboriginals - I will but not just yet since I plan to make a scrappy aboriginals backing for Komorebi.  

(When I bought fabrics to make Coddiwomple, I majorly over purchased; so I'm making Wallaroo (below), Night Owl (above), Komorebi (this photo), and Digideroo (coins not shown) from that excess.  Sheesh.)


I pulled out the project box for Wallaroo - another one of the Macnas  series (number six of twelve).  The aboriginals had been cut into strips a while ago but now they've been turned into rectangles.  And after far too much waffling, I decided to use every last bit of leftover backing fabric from Hoppipolla for the alternate light rectangles.  

(photo includes the black/white binding strips and the steampunk-ish backing fabric).


Yet another lingering pile of fabric, this time pulled for Trouvaille, has been dealt with.

A while back I decided that instead of a mash-mash of too-many-not-quite-right pinks for the top, I would sort out the pinks I liked the most and pair them with unique lights that feature pink.  That fabric pull of lights has now been cut into and the remaining yardage returned to the shelf.


And finally, I have cut the fabrics pulled for Hanabi (Macnas series quilt number ten of twelve).

Hanabi's palette features brights on black paired with whites with colors instead of the originally planned black on whites.  I think this combination will be much more playful.

* * *

After all that work, the horizontal surfaces in the studio are far less cluttered than they were a few days ago.

Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Find joy in every day."
Saint Philip Nevi

8 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

so many pretty projects...and looks like the excess purchases came in handy

Nann said...

Oh. My. Goodness. I have a box of aboriginal prints that haven't gone anywhere and now they're gonna want to walk about. Have you given into the allure of African wax resist prints?

Cherie Moore said...

I’m such a…….nerd? I clicked to the pattern you linked for Spoondrift and quickly realized your pieces were different than the pattern so I clicked to Spoondrift which, uncharacteristically for you, didn’t have a link to the origin posts. To satisfy my curiosity I search on Spoondrift to find the posts. You mentioned using 5.5” vs 5’ blocks and checking out both 2.5” & 3” corner squares vs 1.75” per the pattern. Now I’m noodling over the difference it makes, lol!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

You have so many groups of beautiful fabrics in this post.
Overbuying that group of fabrics gave you great variety, which you wouldn't have had if you only purchased a few of them.

MissPat said...

I know you have a method, but I'm still intrigued by how you keep so many projects organized and ready to be sewn. I have done fabric pulls, set them aside and then totally forgot what I planned to do with them. I know, labels and project boxes. I just haven't gotten there yet. I also love it when I see fabrics in your piles that I have.
Pat

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

We can always find a use for over-purchases; which might just, in reality, be "proper purchases whose time is yet to come"! I hope that you label all of your quilts with their wonderfully unique given names, I'd be hard-pressed to remember them later! ;)

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh, I love all the fabrics and ideas! You always have such wonderful fabrics to work with- I wish I could shop with you! Thanks for the pattern link.

Mystic Quilter said...

Thank goodness for our electric cutting machines - looks like you could have worn yours out almost with all your strips for proposed projects.Looking forward to seeing these come up on the blog. I must, must make a Spoondrift inspired quilt, I 've always loved the one you made.