Monday, August 29, 2022

Utility Mats Plus One


All five of these utility mats are finished, finally.  

Four of these are going to Michigan to my sister and her family while the spiderweb is now hanging in my design studio.


The binding used on the larger basket block was the last bit from a long ago gifted quilt.  

I used the blue version of the raspberry shown above for Ongoing Conversation.  (I don't know what happened to the photos in the reveal post - they've gone AWOL.  So the linked post shows the flimsy.)


The binding on the blues from Concatenation rectangular piece was from a half yard of fabric purchased specifically to become binding.  Finally it has found its home.


I used the last of this solid pink binding on the piece made using leftovers from the side triangles used in Pretty in Pink


Originally I planned to use the black and white clown stripe on the two basket blocks but it overwhelmed both of them - hence the change above and the change here. 

Like the blue stripe above, this green plaid was purchased to be made into binding (although some of it was also used in several of our Christmas quilts - see that label in sidebar).


I bought two yards of this binding fabric for a project that never happened. I absolutely love it on this orphan block from Feisty.

As I was sewing it down, I realized it might also be ideal for Razzle-Dazzle so I'll test that theory when I get the top assembled (I've put the rest of the binding with that project to remind myself).


And,  as I was walking past the newest design wall, I noticed this grouping still in the same three pieces that I rescued from Lynne's stash last June.  

Now they are sewn together with backing, batting, and binding - ready to be quilted and turned into a small wall quilt for the studio.  



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Filling a space in a beautiful way.  That is what art is to me."
Georgia O'Keefe

9 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

All things in their own time. Isn't that SEW appropriate when it comes to those scraps we've held on to? All of a sudden we have exactly what we need!

Barbara Anne said...

Love the binding fabric in the last photo. Sigh. I still have stash envy!
I'm sewing green 3.5" quiet Christmas fabrics together to make a Piano Key border for my SIC green/cream quilt and was elated to rediscover where I'd put the glorious red/tiny gold stars batik that I want to use on either side of the Piano Keys and I hope,think I have enough when it's pieced but am cutting it only 1" wide so it adds only a bit of red to this quilt's borders.

Hugs!

Julierose said...

I especially like the large basket mat--so pretty and the dotty fabric works so well--nice work on these. I am still "zipping" along--one a day for me.
Hugs Julie rose aka Yertle the Tertle hahaha

Linda Swanekamp said...

Such little nuggets of wonderful news on a smaller scale.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Those are bright and happy!
I bet your sister will love them!!

Mystic Quilter said...

Your sister will be so happy with the Utility Mats, such a diverse group.

Ann said...

You always have such beautiful fabrics. These little quilts will be useful, too.

Destiny said...

What is a utility mat? What are they used for? I have never heard this. I love your blog.

Quiltdivajulie said...

To Destiny (no-reply blogger): There is an explanation for my Utility Mat term in the sidebar. There is also a UTILITY MAT label that will pull up previous posts on the subject.