Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Decisions


For a long time I've been planning to use the leftover 2.5" strips and bindings to make a very scrappy utility/comfort quilt.

Earlier this week I decided that the color mash-mash was just TOO scrappy since I love controlled chaos but despise the "pull it out of the brown paper bag and sew it no matter what" approach.

SO . . . I am going to use this group of strips, bindings, and short bits from the resource boxes to make a set of six "beachy" placemats.

I'll use the pieces of Marcia Derse blues (left) for their reverse sides and I'll use a narrow turquoise stripe from the stash for binding.

Ideally these would become a Christmas gift come December but realistically they may not be ready by then.  Time will tell.


These strips and more short pieces from the brown and gold resource boxes will become a second set of six placemats to be used here during the autumn season - beginning in 2023.

The group in the foreground will be used for backing / binding while the upper group will be used to piece the tops.

There are still plenty of strips still in the drawers, but I am relieved to remove the worry about finding a way to have so many different and unrelated colors play together nicely.


I mentioned a while back needing to make another "new big brother" quilt for next Spring so . . . I pulled out the leftover Seuss fabrics from Little Man's Zizzer-Zazzer-Zuzz quilt plus the remaining pieced bits from Ohana to assess what I had to work with.  

The photo above shows a mock up for the pieced insert I'll add to the backing (under the name tag).

(Rident means "laughing, smiling, cheerful")


These are the two newly-pieced side columns (they're each twice as long as what shows here).  I added the 2.5" strips of black and white stripe to the mock up above as a nod to the planned clown stripe binding.  

The other leftover pieces of Seuss yardage have been cut into 2.5" strips for Rident's top so I could see what was available to lengthen the backing's scrappy coin-style column (more than enough).  

Yet another situation where I can stop wondering how to make the pile of scraps into a coherent quilt.

I'd like to get that coin column pieced and the three columns attached to each other before Rident is set aside so I can work (without so many wandering worries) on things with a more pressing deadline.  

We shall see how that goes.


Another major decision was to set aside Spots and Dots and use Ferhoodle for October's baby girl newborn quilt.  I plan to add a 2.5" outer border from the pink/black polka dot before this one gets pin basted for quilting.

I really do need to get on this one soon.

And Ferhoodle's name is also changing to Penelope Rose, which seems much more fitting than a word that means "to confuse or mix up."


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"A good artist has less time than ideas."
Martin Kippenberger

8 comments:

Julierose said...

You have a lot of quilts in line there;))) they all sound great!! Leftovers from my Melange will become new placemats for a Christmas gift...
hugs, Julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh, I love, love those skinny columns of rectangles. They just sing with color. It will be a wonderful creation.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Lots of planning and figuring out what to do, Julie. LOVE that opening picture!! Those are some of my favorite colors.

Barbara Anne said...

How wonderful to be able to make a Baby Girl quilt (soon) and a New Big Brother quilt (later) and your beginning fabrics and layout are sure to please!
Good plan for those color coordinated place mats, too.
Have fun!

Hugs!

audrey said...

The best of best reasons to make new quilts! Congrats to all. I love your fabric choices, so fun.:)

Mystic Quilter said...

Those two sider columns are vibrating on my screen!! Great choice.
I was interested to see you seem to have real good lengths of bindings alongside you blues/greens, looks to be a good idea. I must have missed one of your posts where you made mention of a "new big brother" quilt.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

You are a master when it comes to controlling color chaos; I bow to your expertise. As always, thank you for explaining the process that you use.

Mary Ellen said...

You are so prolific. People say I am, too, but you are way out ahead of me. I mostly make smallish baby quilts for our guild to donate.