One of my projects this year is to make a few sets of placemats. I mentioned the brights on black set a while ago, but there are others in the works - scrappy reds, scrappy greens, Marcia Derse blues, and a set made using the fabric strips I prepped to die cut parts for Agglomeration (a project that is no more).
This is the first set I've completed - whole cloth tops made with fabric leftover after covering my ironing table (photo towards the end of the linked post).
The backs are also whole cloth from yardage left after making a quilt back. It may be hard to see here but there is a soft lily of the valley print in the green (I loved picking and smelling those flowers as a child).
At least for a while the set of well-used but still-in-good-shape rainbow scrappy placemats can take a well-deserved rest. (After seeing one photo in the linked post, it has been literally years since Little Man outgrew that toddler chair, plastic plates, and sippy cup!)
Bound with black and white gingham and quilted with Glide thread in Turf using my liberated all over swirl fans. Each finished mat measures 14" high x 20" wide.
And two sets of our cloth napkins (we switched away from paper early in the pandemic) work very well with these new placemats, which was a happy bonus.
Bon appétit.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------“I’m convinced that fear is at the root of most bad writing. Dumbo got airborne with the help of a magic feather; you may feel the urge to grasp a passive verb or one of those nasty adverbs for the same reason. Just remember before you do that Dumbo didn’t need the feather. The magic was in him.”
Stephen King


7 comments:
These are so bright and happy. You most certainly can not feel down and out eating a meal atop these beauties.
When I make place matts I started making them 2 sided so I can have either side up and double my choices and cut down on the space they take up. So its spring on one side... fall on the other. Pieced on one side crazy prints on the other. I love the ones you show here with the paisley and bright colors!
Ohh, such a beautiful, bright fabric! Love these :)
Those are simply lovely!
Gorgeous new placemats, Julie! How fortuitous that a couple your sets of cloth napkins work with them.
Super fabric!!
These are lovely ! I would love to sit down to a meal with these, or perhaps just sit and admire them. Such a lovely bright fabric to chase away the winter blues.
Post a Comment