Wednesday, January 12, 2022

When the Resource Box Overflows



When I was cleaning up the other day
I went to put away some brights on blacks 
in their designated resource box.

(they're shown above on the cutting mat)

Hmmmmm - there's no more room.




So over the next couple of days I sorted the pieces
inside and outside the resource box into like-ish size piles.

This group was cut into 18" by whatever width strips.

(the group on the right are 2" by less than 18" -
they will be sewn end-to-end
 and then cut into more 18" lengths)

These will be used to piece the top slabs for
six scrappy placemats.

(eventually the quilted placemat sandwiches
will be trimmed to 14" x 20" before binding)




These larger pieces are going to be used
to make scrappy slab backs
for those placemats.




These two fabrics were cut into 2.5" strips
to be used for binding those placemats -
with any extra going to the excess binding stash.




The best news is that when it was over,
the remaining brights on blacks
fit comfortably in their one resource box.

* * *

There's no specific timetable for these
although I'd like to get them done in 2022.

They'll be ideal when I need mindless stitching time.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“For me, there is very little difference between magic and art. To me, the ultimate act of magic is to create something from nothing.”
Alan Moore

8 comments:

Cherie Moore said...

I read ‘Declutering at the Speed of Life” and one of the things I remember, quote often and continue to practice is “it must fit in the container” or you have to get rid of it or something else in the container must go. You’ve illustrated this perfectly :) I’m currently decided it how to deal with my cut up jeans resources that are overflowing their container…………..

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

There's no better feeling than emptying a bin. They do have a sneaky habit of refilling themselves though... ;)
Your plans are laudible; well thought out and planned. There's always a need for placemats (and for mindless sewing)!

Nann said...

"Resource box" is an excellent term.

Nann said...

"Resource box" is an excellent term. Your bright prints are pleasantly busy.

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Love your brights on black box. Just curious if you ever cut strips to store for future projects and if so how you store them? I'm looking for a way to store 2.5" strips so they aren't folded too many times or in deep stacks so I can easily view them.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Great solution to your overflowing resource box, Julie!

Mari said...

Good plan! Sadly, I probably would have just gotten another box. This could be the root of some problems! Looking forward to your placemats!

Mystic Quilter said...

Luscious brights on black in your collection and I am so familiar with the overflowing box situation!