Dumpster Diving 7 - Respite
51" x 63"
Made with bits and pieces leftover after
making two previous quilts:
and
The top was completed in December 2019.
Quilted with my liberated all over fans
using Glide thread in Lilac.
This is the gloriously scrappy back . . .
These colors have been such a joy to work with
which is a good thing since there are THREE quilts
made from too many over-enthusiastically cut 1.5" strips.
especially since it blew the quilt off the fence
onto the soggy ground right after I took this photo.
You can read more about my Dumpster Diving quilt series HERE.
* * *
Some of you might remember the challenges I made to myself
back in January with regard to free motion quilting.
Nearly three months later, I have a major update to share.
I've done a lot of doodling, reading, and
watching of video tutorials since January
and completed seven quilts during that same time period.
Something I read along the way really resonated with me --
I wish I had written down where I found the article, but I didn't.
In short, in order to reduce the "how should I quilt it" stress
one longarm quilter decided to simply
choose one of her five favorite motifs
rather than trying to find or develop something new
for each of her waiting quilt tops.
Wow.
I absolutely love my all-over fans with their many variations
and the marvelous texture they create.
I have several other favorite all-over designs
documented in Max's Stitch Library .
So I'm going to stop worrying with
feathers and swirl hooks, meandering, vines,
and those pesky leaves that refuse to cooperate.
Decision made - keep it simple (and fun).
* * *
I won't be posting again until Monday so
I'll share this "studio upgrade/update" photo now.
DH helped me recover my pressing table - SO much better.
And I hung Someday is Now on the wall.
(the pink and green quilt was made by Wanda Hanson)
Here's a closer look at the framed item in the corner.
When I saw it on Etsy, I just couldn't resist . . .
* * *
Finally - a question for you.
I have been posting using Blogger's MEDIUM font size.
This post is done with the LARGE font size.
Is one easier for y'all to read than the other?
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Whether the flower or the color is the focus I do not know. I do know the flower is painted large to convey my experience with the flower – and what is my experience if it is not the color.”
Georgia O’Keefe








25 comments:
Large is easier to read. I read on a desktop mostly. Love the quilt! Maybe you should have used your big honking clothespins! I find in FMQ, that I do have a certain amount of designs in my hip pocket, and try not to stress about doing fancy show-type work. I found that if I look at the quilt and think it needs geometric or organic or framing or whatever, I know what designs to pick out of my playlist. I may have some sketches of what I think, but the quilt always has veto rights.
Fabulous, simply gorgeous! And, I honestly like the back as much as the front. Super Spring finish!
Pretty! I love the contrast with the aquas. About your five designs idea-- I send most of my bigger quilts to a longarmer, and there are only about five designs that I turn to over and over, even though she has hundreds of possibilities. Go with what you love!
Yes I love the large font and also your quilts. I believe it keeping it simple with the quilting also. I have seen many quilts that I would call "over quilted" but I guess it is to each their own as the saying goes!!
Wonderful way to start my day. Love the quilt both front and back and your studio is so colorful and inviting. Can't help wanting to create!! Your diploma is wonderful!! Well deserved.
While I keep telling myself I should expand the FMQ designs I use, I always wind up going back to the ones I feel most comfortable with. I'm not a fan of the densely quilted designs so favored by many quilters on IG. And trying to do more complicated designs just stresses me out. Who needs more stress these days? Medium font is fine.
Pat
Large is much better for those of us, who have reached a certain age group! lol Love all the color you use in your quilts Julie, and when seeing the pink and green quilt on your wall, thought, "wait a minute, that's one of Wanda's quilts, which I drooled over, the whole time she was putting it together. It has always been one of my favorites, and know you are enjoying it.
Large is definitely easier to read--at least for me!! *^*
You make such gloriously vibrant quilts--lovely shot of your studio...
hugs, Julierose
I prefer the larger font. Thanks for asking.
A challenge is good, but I'm glad you decided to stop torturing yourself over expanding your quilting repertoire, Julie. Quilting is supposed to be fun! Congrats on completing DD#7. It's a double-sided beauty!
Either size font is fine with me. I hold the "Ctrl" key down and the scroll function on my mouse to change the size of fonts. So, no worries either way.
And I LOVE all the color in your quilts! I've yet to meet a color I dislike, even the quiet ones. But it's SO wonderful to enjoy the sea of colors available to us, isn't it?
Gorgeous quilt! It's one of those so interesting to look at, you could study it for a long time. Interesting realization about FMQ. Sounds good to me. I need to practice the remaining 4 to round out my list, ha. Been meaning to try your fans, just need to make up some more scrap sandwiches to give it a go. Font looks fine, but so did the medium to me. Mainly I notice more spacing between paragraphs with the larger font.
I like Respite very much. Large is easier, but Medium is fine.
Larger is better for my older eyes. It may be a trick of the computer, but the larger font also seems darker to me, which is helpful.
I love your newest quilt finish. Like others, I like the back almost as well as the front. Both would be such a pleasure to look at.
Very interesting quote from Georgia O'Keefe.
I think you know I would say I like the large font better because that is what I use and I want my blog to be read easily without having to fiddle with adjustments via the keyboard. I asked one time on my blog too and it was overwhelmingly yes and thank you for using the larger font.
Certainly larger is better for us of a certain age. I would read your blog no matter the size font because I absolutely love your creative & colorful creations.
Excellent decision (re quilting). Gotta keep it fun! I actually prefer the back of DD7 - go figure. Your blog posts have always been easier to read than most so I can't speak to the font size issue, sorry.
Either size is good for me. At least right now, but there are days where the coffee isn't kicking in and bigger fonts are a Wonderful Thing.
I like the larger font.
LOVE the larger font!! The backing you made is awesome....what a stunning way to incorporate the strips of pieces. The front is so richly colored, a true Julie quilt :)
I like the LARGE font. It was a lot easier to read.
Your studio looks so wonderful! Makes me want to come for a visit! lol It's fun to use up leftover bits and pieces and over-enthusiastic cuttings. So glad you're still enjoying the playtime with these pieces!
Respite is aptly named, this talent is something you have a true gift for, I never seem to know what to name my quilts and sometimes think that numbering would simply be easier. You're right about sticking with a few free motion quilting that you're comfortable with, that makes all the difference; your skill level is quite evident. I can scarcely tell a difference in the font size but this post was very easy for these old eyes to read.
Another lovely DUmpster quilt, Julie. I love your thinking about quilting - I share similar dilemmas and reach a similar conclusion.
Respite is STUNNING!!! and the quilting adds such cool texture, but also leaves you to ohh and ahh over the quilt itself - I love it!!
Post a Comment