Wednesday, November 10, 2021

A Big Leap Forward



I bought this yardage a long time ago
to use as a quilt backing.

I've paired it with several tops along the way
but it has always been returned to 
the backing stash before being used.

Until now.



When I read Monica's latest post  about her recent fabric pull,
something in my head connected several sets of dots.

One - a stash pack of pinks and greens purchased 
during Wanda's most recent pop-up shop
which inspired the idea of a pink/green string quilt.

Two - the backing shown above with all its glorious colors.

Three - my series of NOT a Mystery quilts



And voila - 
another squirrel moved into my studio.




With the basic fabric pull in mind,
I went to my Unconventional and Unexpected 
(by Roderick Kiracofe) book
to look for inspiration and ideas.

This String with Broken Grid (NC, 1950-1975)
has always appealed to me and
will now serve as the jumping off point
for a quilt I have named Agglomeration.

(noun, meaning a jumbled cluster or mass of varied parts)




After pondering the fabric pull to determine
which of the colors would be used for the sashing strips,
I decided on the aquas.

Yardage was enhanced with a few fat quarters 
and pieces from the aqua resource box.




Each of the color groups was similarly enhanced
using their respective resource boxes since I am such
a big fan of scrappy overload (controlled or otherwise). 

After a bit of calculating with paper and pencil,
I will make thirty-five 8" (fin.) string blocks
using the neutrals, pinks, yellows, purples, and greens
for a quilt top in the 50" x 70" range.




And for now I am thinking I will use this for binding.

* * *

I really NEED to make another set of the gift bags
and/or spend some focused FMQ time with Max -
but I suspect I will find myself cutting strips instead.

(if nothing else so I can clear off the drafting table
in order to pin baste Merry and Bright)




(p.s. Our 5-year-old grandson HIGHLY recommends
this book and the two that came after it)


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“I went through this phase where I thought pink and purple matched.  To dance class, I’d wear purple tights and pink leg warmers and paint my shoes purple.”
Carrie Ann Inaba

10 comments:

Sally Langston Warren said...

You really do your best to send the squirrels out to us, don’t you?!
The fabrics are beautiful, the quilt name inspiring, and…….off we go….

Julierose said...

That is a beautiful fabric you have had on the "back burner"; I would be tempted to use it as the center diagonal of the string blocks...
Your fabric pulls always amaze me--as to how you can foresee what you will want to use so well. I am looking forward to seeing how this comes together...
hugs, Julierose

The Joyful Quilter said...

Thanks for the book recommendation, Little Man! I have a young friend who will get a good laugh out of that. I'm loving your fabric pull for this year's Not a Mystery quilt, Julie!!

Barb N said...

A splendid fabric pull indeed! Organizing the fabric is half the fun. And so good you'll be able to use that wonderful backing :)

Judy in Michigan said...

How exciting!! Love your collection of aquas - beautiful!! Can't wait to see progress.

LA Paylor said...

oh that jungle print is right up my alley! And your pull with it, wonderfully exciting. LOVE the watercolor pic of a squirrel with flowers in her hair. I started throwing peels under bushes and trees as we don't have a compost, thinking they would feed the existing bushes. They are feeding the existing 2 squirrels and thousands of bunnies.

LynneP said...

OMG, Julie... What a GORGEOUS fabric pull!!! Can't wait to see the progression on this squirrel.

audrey said...

Love the string quilt inspiration. Always feels so good to finally have the right 'click' to get going. Your fabric pull looks delicious!

QuiltGranma said...

Such a beautiful collection of fabrics! Looking forward to what you will create with these.

sue s said...

Wow< I look forward to this one. I just love your aquas; so close in color to each other! I have a multicolor I may use as the aqua for "pop". I'm debating green or aqua for the yellow.