Right end of our mantel
(the half-gallon canning jars were my maternal grandmother's)
Center of the mantel
This sign encapsulates so much of my Michigan childhood
from herds of holsteins grazing in the fields,
frequent family outings to regional ice creameries,
my maternal grandfather's stories of life on the farm,
and so much more . . .
. . . including the sign on September's barn
in my book's cover quilt See Rock City.
Left end of the mantel
Left end of the hearth
Right end of the hearth
Fourth of July (2021) on one living room rocker
Hello July (2021) on the second living room rocker
The cedar chest's orphan block runner
The Kitchen Door Quilt (2016) on one side chair
with a pillow made from Finnish linen purchased
the summer between my junior-senior year of college
while I was part of an all-Michigan orchestra tour
that criss-crossed Finland.
Inspi(RED) (2020) on the second side chair
with a second pillow made from another piece
of that well-aged Finnish linen.
Gotta Love It (2011) on the back of the couch
And Moments in Time (2016) on the back of my recliner
* * *
Wishing each of you a safe (!!)
and satisfying Fourth of July weekend.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------“Purer colors…have in themselves, independently of the objects they serve to express, a significant action on the feelings of those who look at them.”
Henri Matisse












15 comments:
Oh I do like all your signs..... And all the runners quilts looks great on display.... Happy 4th July.....
Wow, what a display. All the colors and ideas are amazing. The Gotta Love it quilt is a stunner. I grew up at the end of the street from the Bethlehem Steel Plants and a grimy atmosphere. Camping vacations in state parks were a relief from that and would have preferred cows, grass and trees to that. Your decor and quilts are a blast of fresh air and light.
You are beautifully decorated to welcome in July--all lovely quilts--I especially like Moments in Time with that vivid blue background..
Hope your 4th and all of July are wonderful for you and yours.
Hugs, Julierose
Thanks for a peak at how you display all your marvelous pieces. I confess I still haven't put away all the Easter items. Lack of energy and not much with which to replace them. Happy Fourth, we are going to be cooler and perhaps rainy (which would be welcome any other day).
Pat
Took one look at your mantel picture and then took a second look wondering how you got a picture of my mantel. I also have the blue half gallon canning jars (along with quart size) on my mantel. I grew up on a farm but went more patriotic as my husband was career Navy and son was a Marine. Lovely, lovely quilts.Very satisfying use of red fabrics. Blue is so overdone. Thanks for sharing.
Ah, Rock City! I've been by the signs numerous times, but never stopped... I enjoyed all your cows, and, as a native Michigander, I agree with your sentiments on holsteins!
Happy Fourth to you and your talented hubby. Loved seeing his work in your room. As always, I love your quilts and your variety.
All of your decor items are wonderful. The quilts are beautiful and I love the signs. My favourite is "live like someone left the gate open"! I grew up on a farm and the visual of what that is like delights me!
What a wonderful display! I would love to have a tour! All of your July quilts are so beautiful!
yea cows!!! great cows, and finally the acknowledgment that they bring happiness
LeeAnna
It looks like you're ready for a festive 4th, Julie.
Your home is so attractively decorated fo the holiday! I hope you’ll leave things up for a while to enjoy for a while. I don’t usually decorate for July Fourth because we are often traveling. This year we are preparing to move next week so decorations are packing boxes! Happy Fourth!
Just beautiful!
So the money can buy cows.... I want it - haha!
Your quilts totally make your house - what a lovely place!!
Julie, I am SO happy to have followed your 'Build a Barn' link! We had to finally take our beloved wooden barn down as a storm caused some structural damage that could not be fixed. I would love to create a project like this!
We are Michigan dairy farmers too! Where did you grow up? We are in Northern Michigan dairy country and still own and operate a 4th generation family dairy.
I lost track of you online for awhile, but thanks to the upheaval in our ways of following other quilters, I’ve found my way back to seeing your colorful work again. So fun! (By the way, I’m curious about which part of Michigan you grew up in, if you don’t mind sharing. I’ve been there all but the first 9 months of my life, and love the varied and inspiring landscapes.
Post a Comment