Monday, July 5, 2021

Pandemonium - an orphan block project



I posted about my orphan block stash here.

Since then those blocks have not been quiet 
about remaining in their project box.

\


Once I had LUDIC clipped for webbing
leaving the design wall empty again,
I pulled out all of the orphans.

Hmmmmm . . . 




Almost immediately I removed the orange blocks
left behind after piecing the top for 
October's kitchen table quilt (Trick or Treat).

I will use them to make a pair of end table mats.

I also decided that I will NOT be using 
black and white prints as filler.

(I've been watching Agilejack and lots of her blog followers
making Frankenbags and thought Anne's b-w ideas 
might work with my stash of orphans)




Instead I have pulled out several unused 
2.5" strips and a few more pieces 
of quilt back trimmings.

This mixture definitely has possibilities.

Next step will be to measure the various blocks,
count the scrappy rectangles and misc. HSTs,
add in the extra HSTs from Ludic, and
play around with graph paper and layout ideas.

* * *

I have named this project Pandemonium.
(meaning 'a wild uproar')

AND Pandemonium has unexpectedly become
my asymmetrical project for the new AHIQ challenge.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“I’m crazy for color.  
Color embraces you.  
It wakes you up and keeps you present.”  
Tracy Reese

14 comments:

Julierose said...

Oh this should be a really interesting project! An Orphanage quilt;)) .
Have fun messing about with all these...hugs, Julierose

MissPat said...

My first thought was " those orange blocks just don't fit". I will follow your continued construction with much interest as you configure the fillers.
Pat

Linda Swanekamp said...

There are definite possibilites for all those blocks to mesh, but it will take thought and some strips just the right color and value. It is a definite jigsaw puzzle that you determine the final design as it is not on the box. I think it is right up your alley.

Nancy said...

Oh my, I'm so glad the blocks insisted on coming out for play time! This is going to be wonderful, though a challenge for sure. We will be watching.

Kaja said...

This is fun - like a wild patchwork jigsaw.

The Joyful Quilter said...

It's a design wall full of happiness, Julie. Good thinking on pulling those autumn orange blocks out of the mix! They will work SEW much better as end table mats.

Jennifer said...

looks interesting! and busy! right away, it made me think of a quilt that Louise did (quilt odyssey) that she called mod-hodge-podge. it's an intriguing idea i'd like to explore more as well. can't wait to see what you come up with!

Teresa said...

So fun! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Mary Ellen said...

I have a box (somewhere) of orphan blocks plus a small pile on the floor of the sewing room. I need to take a cue from you and make them into something. I will be interested to see what you do with yours.

Mystic Quilter said...

Pleased to see that the blocks have escaped their incarceration in the box! You have a super collection to work with, I love the large triangles top right. Great idea to have Pandemonium as your project for the AHIQ challenge.

Janie said...

Great collection of blocks to use for the asymmetrical challenge, lovely fun!

Ann said...

A lovely collection of blocks. They are all such pretty colors, too. Good idea to put them together.

Anonymous said...

what a fun collection of orphan blocks. I can't wait to see what you do with them.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh ya!! I like where this is going!! and seeing it all up on the wall sure helps with the color decisions. its going to be great!!