Inspiration struck yesterday
and I decided to act on it
instead of makings notes for later.
The top was "finished" but I wasn't happy with it.
I cut the borders away from the center panel
a few weeks ago, knowing that I would "remake" the top.
Since then my brain has been working in the background
considering ways to redesign October's kitchen table quilt.
* * *
I had pulled out Gwen Marston's classic
Liberated String Quilts because I remembered
that she had a string tulip block and quilt in it.
(those came up because of Ann's upcoming QAL for AHIQ)
One of the other quilts in Gwen's book caught my eye and . . .
EUREKA!
I knew exactly how to solve my Trick or Treat conundrum.
When I checked the stash, I found the last of the purple Marbles fabric
I had used in the original top.
(whew)
I also found the dark floral yardage from Jason Yenter's Floragraphix V line.
(our LQS is closing because the landlord won't renew her lease
since he has a new tenant who wants the entire building -
that floral yardage was one of my 1/2 off closing sale finds)
I cut as many 12.5" squares as I could from the flimsy's center
and the strata leftover from its making.
Then I used the cut offs and leftover strips to piece together
four more blocks for the layout shown below.
V2 measures 63" x 63" and I like it a LOT more than V1.
A whole lot more.
The new top plays beautifully with the original back
AND the striped binding.
So now this can go into the rotation for quilting
come August or September
and my brain can move on to other projects.
(p.s. more about my plan for those string tulips soon)
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“I’ve always been multi-cultural myself. I’m not black and I’m not white. I’m not pink and I’m not green. Eartha Kitt has no color, and that is how barriers are broken.”
Eartha Kitt





19 comments:
WOW what a wonderful change to that quilt!! I love that Jason Yenter fabric--he is one of my favorite designers...this quilt now sings for sure;))
nice work on this hugs, Julierose
I LOVE the change! It gives me inspiration for a jelly roll race top that I made and am not in love with and was considering getting rid of. I like the fabrics in it and I think redone in some kind of strata variant with a wow coordinating fabric will rescue it. Thanks for your great ideas.
It's amazing but how beautiful your new quilt looks - great tips on how to re-purpose *unliked* quilt tops and I love all those colours :)
Wow, what a change! It has so much more personality!
I love your remake. The dark angles scattered around really add a wonderful surprise and spark. Not sure I would have had the inspiration to cut into a finished top.
I've never cared for jelly roll race quilts or any of the variations (but, then I don't like jelly rolls to begin with). Your transformation is genius. Seeing you cut it up reminds me of a Quilt Show episode in which a well-known quilter (whose name escapes me right now) took a rotary cutter to a finished quilt eliciting loud gasps of horror from the audience. Love the Jason Yenter fabric, sad for your LQS and you for losing it.
Pat
Oh, I just love it! I don't like the jelly roll race quilts, but used as the body for another quilt with that fabulous fabric, wow.
Just WOW! I love the new iteration. You are such an inspiration.
I love this redesign! It’s a huge improvement over the original. I love how you “listen” to your inner muse. B
That book is one of my favorites also.
Love the new version! And lots of inspiration to be found in that book, I often read through it.
Wonderful change up! I love it when a quilt finally comes up with a conclusion that makes us happy to do the work.:)
Great solution to raise an average quilt to spectacular! I love orange and this one is really special!
Perfect new quilt! And it works well with the black pieces scattered.
Very cool conversion of a jelly roll race top! Loe that floral sashing with it.
That was a very productive change. The quilt definitely has more personality now, and will look even better to you when you pull it out again in the fall. Jelly roll race is good for a fast quilt, but not a well-designed one.
Fantastic, Julie! I have a top I don't love that I'm thinking about cutting in to. This is inspiring.
I like this a lot better than the original!
V2 is definitely a winner!!! I have also been studying my Gwen Marston book, she has a beautiful Tulip quilt on page 74 and an interesting way of making these.
Post a Comment