Monday, January 25, 2021

AHIQ String Tulips QAL - My Color Story



This is my color story for the new AHIQ challenge.

You can read about it HERE and HERE.




Last week's inauguration day was filled with inspiration
and Lynette captured it beautifully in THIS POST.




Ann hasn't started posting instructions for the QAL yet
but knowing myself and how I work, I'm pretty sure 
I'll be treating this as a "prompt" rather than a quilt-along.

(this is for the Ad Hoc IMPROV Quilters challenge after all . . . )




And that is where Gwen Marston's Liberated String Quilts book
with her string tulip information fits into the overall picture.




I pulled the fabrics in the foreground from previous projects
to make an eclectic, diverse, and gloriously scrappy back.

* * *

And, for the record, I've named my string tulip project FORTY-SIX.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Try to forget what objects you have before you - a tree, a house, a field, or whatever. Merely think, 'Here is a little square of blue, here an oblong of pink, here a streak of yellow,' and paint it just as it looks to you, the exact color and shape, until it gives you your own impression of the scene before you.”
Claude Monet

8 comments:

Brenda said...

Julie, like others, I was captured by the colors of inauguration day. They were so strong, so bold, so clear. As you say, Lynn captured the spirit of the day in her blog. I love the color palette for "The 46th" and really look forward to seeing you develop your vision. Brenda

Brenda said...

Oh, and the Claude Monet quote resonates with me! B

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh, I love all of the fabrics you chose. They are so clear and non-muddy. They feel clean and bright. I found I have the same book I bought used years ago. Looking forward to see what you will do with them.

Mari said...

Smiling at every bit of this post! including the name! :)

The Joyful Quilter said...

As always, I'll be looking forward to seeing where you go with this quilt. Have fun, Julie!

Mystic Quilter said...

I too have been studying the Gwen Marston book with her tulip quilt - interesting way of making. Love your Colour Story for the AHIQ String Quilt QAL, beautiful and bright!

Ann said...

What delicious fabrics. I recognized a few in my stash, too. How great that you are getting organized early and glad you're treating it as a prompt.

Kaja said...

You and the 46th are off to a flying start.