Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Dumpster Diving 10 - Do Tell - the Flimsy



Dumpster Diving 10 - Do Tell is a flimsy!

Conceived in January 2020, DD10 underwent at least three
significant design changes before any stitches were taken.

(earlier posts are HERE and HERE and HERE)

I finally made one test block in August 2020.




Several comments on earlier DD10 posts have mentioned the colors.

This photo from Google Images shows the inspiration idea behind my color families.

(remember all those vintage canning jars from a few years ago?)

And the name Do Tell belongs to a variety of pink peony from the 1940s.




Once all of the slabs had been pieced, made into HSTs, and sewn into 8.5" blocks,
I knew I could not stay with the layout shown in the online tutorial.

It was beyond b-o-r-i-n-g and way too m-u-s-h-y.

So I decided to shake things up and go with this layout reminiscent of 
the vintage vertical strippy-set string quilts in some of my books.

SO much more interesting.




I love the new secondary patterns within this layout.

The pink blocks alternate directions creating subtle diagonals and
the aqua blocks shift between forming diamond-squares and starbursts.

I also love that the Dumpster Diving scrappiness of the blocks
is clearly visible now instead of being overwhelmed.

(easier to see if you supersize the photos)

This is SO SO SO much better than where it was headed before.

The top measures 56" wide x 70" long
and DD10 is currently slotted for quilting in May.

* * *

You can read about the other quilts
in my Dumpster Diving series HERE.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Almost all words do have color, and nothing is more pleasant than to utter a pink word and see someone’s eyes light up and know it is a pink word for them, too.”
Gladys Taber

19 comments:

Julierose said...

What a lovely setting and finish on this--the colors are just grand
hugs, Julierose

smithcindyk said...

Sorry that I never take time to comment on your blog but I had to this time. DD10 is gorgeous, love it!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on getting this scrappy top together, Julie! I do remember your canning jar window treatment. I was surprised to find just how many years ago that was!

Marie said...

Such a beauty! Just love your colours for this one.

Ellie said...

Such a great quilt! I love the colors and looking more closely at the fabrics is such fun. I’m curious where you found your nifty finger presser. I’ve never seen one like that. Always looking for a new toy! Great quote, too. I’m so glad I found your blog.

Vicki in MN said...

That's so pretty! And think of all that fabric you rescued and made good use of.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

It turned out just gorgeous!!!!!

MissPat said...

I loved the Gladys Taber books. Always interesting to look back through the earlier posts to see the progression of your quilts.
Pat

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Fabulous! I love it!

Cathy said...

Congrats on another dumpster dive! I love the color scheme and how the little bits of pink peek out of the aqua here and there. And I agree it is more interesting with the sashing. I had to smile when I read that you schedule your quilting.

Quilting Gail said...

Love your "DO TELL" quilt!
The colours are great!
Happy Quilting! :-)
quiltinggail.com

Linda Swanekamp said...

Well it certainly is not mushy or boring. Good for you. The colors are real soothing. I can almost smell the peonies. I love how you show us the process. It helps a great deal.

Jan said...

This is one of the very best string quilts that I’ve ever seen!

Raewyn said...

I love it - the colour palette and also the absolutely delightful scrappiness of the string setting. Beautiful!

QuiltGranma said...

Oh, favorite colors playing together nicely!

Lynette said...

Wow!! This turned out really stunning! What pretty colors together. <3

Vicki W said...

It's fabulous!

Mystic Quilter said...

Beautiful finish, love the dark strips separating the blocks.

Nann said...

I'm behind in blog-reading -- just caught up on your posts since January. I enjoy reading about the design process/evolution of your quilts....and the stories behind the creative names! I think you're wise to cap the DD series at 12 to free you up to try other designs--maybe even another series. The peony-pink and turquoise combination in this one is cheerful!