There has been a lot (!!) of computer time the past few days
with massive edits for the organization
where I serve as Board President
and another group of edits/thoughts/suggestions
In addition to all that focused brain work,
I've felt lethargic/distracted and unable to sit and sew.
So I've been cutting fabric into little pieces instead.
June's color for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge is PINK.
(much more fun than May's dark green)
I'll make one block with the darker pinks in the first photo
and the second block with these lavender bits.
Dumpster Diving 11 - Mischief Maker
will be colorful if nothing else.
Next I tackled the boxes of fabrics and scraps
gathered for Dumpster Diving 10 - Blue Springs Road.
After I piece the two RSC blocks shown above,
I want to work on Blue Springs Road's
bits and pieces as leaders-enders while I
piece the remaining spiderweb blocks for Feisty.
But that meant the gathered long strips
had to be cut into smaller bits first.
I had planned to use black on white in the design
but as I sorted through the box of blues
I discovered more than enough of these
blue and whites - so I'm going to use them instead.
The stash of yellow strips were also cut into smaller pieces.
This particular Dumpster Diving quilt
will feature longer segments to play into the feel
of the free download called Spring.
Here are all of the segments ready and waiting
for me to pin them into pairs
that can be kept beside my machine
for easy leader-ender stitching.
I also tackled the stacks of pink and aqua yardage
that had been set aside for Dumpster Diving 10 - Do Tell.
My goal was to cut 3-5 strips from each of the fabrics
and then get them back on the shelf where they belong.
Mission accomplished for this one.
(I won't sub-cut and worry with pinning pairs for Do Tell
until that process is completed for Blue Springs Road)
After making the various RSC placemats using 1.5" strips
along with the RSC Dumpster Diving 11-Mischief Maker blocks,
I had a pile of leftover pieces that didn't work
with any of the other planned Dumpster Diving quilt projects.
I started putting those random leftovers in one box.
It didn't take long to realize there would, indeed,
be a thirteenth quilt in my Dumpster Diving series.
I've named No. 13 Surplus, for obvious reasons.
Here's a look at the accumulated strips (so far).
Oh yeah, I'm obsessed . . .
(you can click on the labels at the end of this post
to read previous posts for any of these projects)
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“The most basic of all human needs is the need to understand and be understood. The best way to understand people is to listen to them.”
Ralph Nichols









7 comments:
You have been busy setting up --I have been sorting..sort of--I had re-arranged by color a while back--but although that is nice, I am now going to sub-arrange by "feel"...[as in does it feel like a vintage fabric, a modern one etc if that makes any sense at all] Lately I have wanted to make a 30's
vintage-ey-looking piece...we'll see how this goes...
I do find that there are big gaps in my collection...
Lately, focus of any kind has been getting more and more difficult...thank you Corona virus ;000
Have a great weekend Julierose
I'm SEW excited about Surplus, Julie (because I wasn't ready for your Dumpster Diving series to end!!)
Beautiful explanation of sorting. I will have to go back and look at the quilts mentioned. I have not made much progess as I have spent too much time on the computer- trying to get our guild together on Zoom with coordinating and coaching and also the proofing and setting up a class at church. I am ready to head for the hills with my machine and project bags, but can't find any place to hide myself.
It's amazing what you can do with strips! You've got me obsessed now, too. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on all your projects.
Fun with color! I saw Lynne's Zebra quilt, very exciting. Thanks for the link.
Fantastic organisation Julie, and a post full of lovely colour. The collection of yellow is stunning.
When I feel lethargic or distracted I usually do a bit of sewing room tidying up, lately though I've been cutting scraps, they seem neverending. I like your plastic scrap containers, so organised and visible.
Post a Comment