Little by little over the last few weeks,
I've been slowly stitching slabs
for Dumpster Diving 10 - Do Tell.
(last post for this project is HERE)
At this point there are five sets of four quarter-blocks
pinned on the design wall along with these three slabs.
(each one large enough to cut a 16" square)
Here are the stacks of pressed strips for the next two slabs
As I stitch each strip to the previous one,
I use this nifty little piece of laminated wood
to "finger press" the seam to one side.
(my thumbnails aren't tough enough for the job)
Here's a look at the tapered of the wood piece.
It works like a charm.
And as I stitch the 17 strips together for oeach slab,
I'm using the HST pairs for June's kitchen table quilt
(named Lagoon) as my leader enders.
One more slab stitched but not yet pressed along with
sixteen leader-ender HST pairs sewn together.
Lagoon will use 81 of these HST pairs -
I'll have all of them sewn by the time
I finish pieced all of the DD10 slabs.
Do Tell's top needs 20 blocks or 80 quarter-blocks.
Slowly but surely . . . one seam at a time.
(I'm using this tutorial by Texas Freckles -
her site is not "https secure" so visit with that knowledge)
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Anything is possible with sunshine and a little pink”
Lilly Pulitzer






13 comments:
It looks like you have a really good start on both of them. Way to go!
Love those slab blocks--the two colorways are great!!
Hugs, Julierose
Well, we've got the pink with RSC this month, but no sunshine here and I'm really missing it.
Pat
Leader-ender(ing) is such a good way to make the most of your sewing time, Julie. Too bad I almost never remember to sew that way! When I do attempt it, I just get distracted by the second project. Oops!
You are the queen of strip piecing. I like these colours - just perfect for spring/summer.
Oh pretty colors! that little pressing tool is a great idea!
Just want to say thanks for the inspiration last August (and now)! I'm not much of a quilter, actually, but I had a vintage around the world quilt that I wanted to duplicate for a quilt for my bed. I'd been collecting fabric for years, setting it aside, until I did my homework and discovered that my dribs and drabs of fabric would have to be put together BY HAND. Gulp. That went off my list, and I've been reading quilting blogs for creative ideas. Bingo! I'm doing 16" squares of strips (no triangles for this non-quilter!) that will work into a rainbow. I've 8 blocks completed with many more to go, but I wanted to thank you for the idea!
Love the two colours here Julie, aqua/turquoise is my favourite colour - along with a couple of others of course! The idea of using the piece of wood idea, I speak from experience here because my husband made me a small but handy shaped piece to flatten seams to save me hopping to the iron all the time, that's about 20 years ago now but it's still used all the time.
You have quite a bit of beautiful fabrics! Wow, this is stunning so far.
I love your slab blocks and the colors are fabulous! Could you possibly share how wide the strips are? Thank you!
To Vanda (no-reply comment) - please visit my Dumpster Diving page here on the blog - there's a link to the original tutorial shared by Tonya Ricucci that inspired me many years ago. I've gone a bit rogue with my series of quilts, but the basics still apply. (look for the tabs at the top of the blog - right underneath the header)
Vanda - another hint - at the bottom of each post below the signature and quotation are a series of label links - you can click on those to read more about the various subjects/topics/quilts.
love the colours in your dumpster dive quilt......looking great.....
Post a Comment