Thursday, May 26, 2016

The Kitchen Door Quilt - a Finish



The Kitchen Door Quilt is finished!

55" wide x 70" long

Quilted by Debbie Voigt
(Glide Hawaiian Blue thread, Calm Water panto)




Inspired by Log Cabin II from Collaborative Quilting
by Gwen Marston and Freddy Moran

and 

a casual Instagram comment shared by

I'd been saving red and blue strings for over a year
without having a definite plan for how to use them.




I settled on the design in December 2015.


That's when the Rainbow Scrap Challenge 
color of the month was BLUE.

(this photo was taken just before the swing started its makeover process -
it has been rainy, so I hope to have finished photos for you by next week)




The quilt's backing was purchased in very early 2015,
long before I had any definite plans for the gathered strings.

Somehow I guess I knew the chairs were a print I needed to have in the stash.




Who knew that a can of red paint, a roll of blue painter's tape,
and a casual comment from a long-distance friend
would lead to this boldly scrappy quilt ?!?


* * *

Over the weekend, I'll also be linking this post with 
 The Rainbow Scrap Challenge  (Saturday)
and
Oh Scrap! at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework  (Sunday)


Quiltdivajulie

25 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

What a treat to see this all quilted and bound and the backing fabric just perfect!

Millie said...

Lovely!

Sheila said...

Congratulations on a wonderful finish. I love it : )

Elaine M said...

Wonderful finish, love it. Last picture, the red almost looks like wet paint. Looking forward to seeing the finished swing.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

The reds are so perfect with those blues. Very vibrant!

gayle said...

You never know where that first step will lead you! I love this quilt!

Mari said...

I love this quilt! It turned out so lovely. And it will look great with your red porch swing!

Janie said...

Great finish, I love the backing fabric, perfect.

Lara B. said...

It's beautiful Julie and just in time for the summer holidays!

Raewyn said...

I love the story of the creative process!! SUch a lovely fresh quilt :-)

Kaja said...

Hooray for your kitchen door! So great to see this finished- and I love your backing fabric too; isn't it lovely when you already have the perfect fabric just sitting there waiting?

Browndirtcottage said...

I LOVE LOVE this quilt!!! Who knew that a casual comment could spur such a clever
idea into this FAB quilt.

Kat Scribner said...

This quilt is just gorgeous! The fabrics are gorgeous. You must have had a blast making it!

Jennifer said...

great quilt. and of course, the LOGICAL choice for a DOOR quilt backing is CHAIRS. I would have done the same thing.

LA Paylor said...

wow, I really like this. So interesting... bet it's fun in person, to see the fabrics close up. The graphic appeal is awesome

scraphappy said...

What a great finish. I think that the blue painters tape is my favorite part of the story. If you had bought a different brand, you might have a Christmas quilt instead.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Congrats on a beautiful finish!! :) That chairs backing is too cute as well.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Congrats on a beautiful finish!! :) That chairs backing is too cute as well.

Magpie Sue said...

Those chairs are a perfect complement to the front of the quilt. "Come on in (through the kitchen door) and have a seat!"

Kate said...

Beautifully done! The backing is perfect. It's a very bright and fun quilt. Congrats on the finish.

Kyle said...

Love the bold red and blue strings. It just shouts happy!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Such a gorgeous quilt! I love the bright red and blue together.

Cathy said...

I don't know how I originally missed this finish. Congrats on another fun quilt. I LOVE the backing.

liniecat said...

Fantastic!

Caryl @ cinnamon holiday workshop said...

love the reds and blues.......