Saturday, May 28, 2016

Scrappy Greens Continued - New Projects




New Project #1

Sixteen Patches 

The squares are cut 2.5" / The blocks will finish at 8"

A layout 6 wide x 8 long will eventually yield a 48" x 64" quilt top.

These test blocks are pretty straight forward.

A bit more scrappiness will happen in future blocks.




New Project #2

Liberated Stars

I have wanted to make Gwen Marston liberated stars forever.

Simply stated - the time has arrived.




These were my "test blocks" 
so I used a single fabric for the background squares.

Starting next month,
I want to use a wide variety of neutral backgrounds,
including pieces from my overflowing bin of low volume strings.




If you look closely (and/or  double click to supersize the photo),
 you can see that the star points in this block 
were made using leftover bits of green strata.

I want to do more of that
and I also want to incorporate several pieced centers.




THIS is the fun part!

The tiny star blocks in the four patch finish at 3 inches.

The middle size block finishes at 6 inches.

The large block finishes at 12 inches.

* * *

Here's to the marvelously scrappy possibilities
within both of these projects.


* * *

Linking up with The Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

CLICK HERE to see what the others are making this week.


Quiltdivajulie

26 comments:

Kaja said...

I love wonky stars - can't wait to see you go with yours - and the 16 patch block has lots of possibilities too, as you say.

Kaja said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Oh, yes! Now I like those stars. I may have to steal that idea for next year.......

Browndirtcottage said...

Stars! I'm crazy over stars! I have stars of all sizes sewn up and in a container somewhere…..Lynn's Twinkling Stars is w-a-y cute!

Kat Scribner said...

I can envy all your wonderful background fabrics!! They just make the colors pop.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your stars are just gorgeous in the greens! I love them in all the different sizes. I also like how you are making the 16 patches with different shades or values of green. It makes the color seem to flow!

Alison V. said...

Your little stars look great!

Marly said...

I love wonky stars; you've got a great idea there - using up string fabric in the stars. I've already decided to make these stars for the challenge next year!

Jennifer said...

ooo! looks like fun!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Thanks for the links to the blocks you are making! All of your GREEN blocks make me want to go sew, as GREEN is my favorite color.

Ivani said...

pretty wonky stars. Love the neutral fabrics you use for background.

Nell's Quilts said...

What a fun project. The green with white and black background is striking.

Quilter Kathy said...

So fun! Love that there are so many different sizes... and the baby star blocks are adorable!

PaulaB quilts said...

Clever idea using the strata bits. Waste not, want not. I enjoyed seeing the three different sizes, would be fascinating to put together.

Angie said...

I do like your different size Maverick Stars! It will be fun watching you play with all those ideas!

scraphappy said...

Stars in many sizes. So pretty! You have so many great background fabrics. What a fun way to put them all to good use.

gayle said...

Oh, those stars look amazing! I'm particularly struck by the tiny ones, but you make all the sizes look tempting. I'm going to enjoy watching you play with these!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

LOVE these bright and jewel like tones in the stars! :)

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

LOVE these bright and jewel like tones in the stars! :)

Raewyn said...

So much fun and so much scrappiness! I especially love your stars :-)

Magpie Sue said...

May seems to be a good month for beginning new projects; there certainly seem to be a lot of them being started!

Mystic Quilter said...

Just catching up with posts now - lovely Liberated Stars, I have been fascinated by these since first seeing them from Gwen Marston.

Kate said...

I really like the Liberated Stars. Have fun with your new projects.

Cathy said...

Wonky stars are always fun in any size. And I must say you have the best b/w fabrics.

Sheila said...

I LOVE wonky stars. Love the background, too!

Sharon said...

Have fun making the stars! I love them and can't get enough of them. They are so fun both to make and to see. Love the use of the scrappy fabric to make them!