Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Something a Bit Different



Earlier this year,
I saw a photo in a "flea market DIY" magazine.

For some reason, the idea kept niggling at me.

(hint - all photos will supersize if double-clicked)




A month or so ago,
these orphaned glass plates
and an old ashtray
came home from the thrift store with me.




DH used a drill bit  made for glass 
to make a hole in the center of each plate.

A set of long brass screws and nuts
came with gap-filling rubber washers.

(source - big box lumber store)

The rods we used for "stems" were rescued
from our recently-deceased washing machine.

(their original purpose had been to 
suspend the drum inside the washer)




After a bit of fiddling,
my three glass "flowers"
will spend the coming months
swaying gently in the breeze while 
sparkling in the summer sun.

(if they get mud spattered
a quick dis-assemble will allow
a trip through the dishwasher)


If you scroll back and look at yesterday's porch swing photo,
you can see the plate flowers in the background.


Quiltdivajulie

12 comments:

Millie said...

Well I sure as hell would never have thought of THAT! What a lovely garden accessory! Lucky you to have such a handy husband to make that possible.

Vicki W said...

Very cool!

Mari said...

Wow, that is really different! I'll bet you'll really enjoy the sparkle from the shade garden all summer.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Ingenious.........oh my! I have been looking at doing a few tea cups and saucers on a table leg. it sticks in the ground and you can feed the birds beautifully!

Pam said...

These plates also inspire free motion quilting designs!

Lara B. said...

That's a really cute idea Julie! They must sparkle very prettily when the sunlight hits them.

Paula, the quilter said...

Cute. I have always wanted to do something like that, but I live in hail ally and anything breakable will break in one of our hail storms. B(

Mystic Quilter said...

Your glass plates look perfect in the garden - they look life giant dandelion seed heads!

Cathy said...

I have done a lot of garden art like that with recycled plates, vases, etc. and just love it. Check out this post:
http://cathyscrazybydesign.blogspot.com/2012/06/garden-art-natures-and-mine.html
Great minds think alike!

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE it!! I'm convinced that inspiration really CAN be found anywhere!!

Kaja said...

I love these: might have to copy the idea.

Magpie Sue said...

Wonderful! I wish I could find one of those plates in the last picture, just to have. I love pressed glassware.