Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Introducing Reverdie




While I wait for  my shoulder and neck to recover
I pulled out the blocks for Viridis,
my WIP for this fall's GREEN challenge
at the Davies Manor Quilt Show.

Here they are on the design wall
along with yardage I chose for the backing.




I've been reading the posts on Instagram
from Jill Fisher (aka Pie Lady Quilts) 
and this particular quilt of hers named "Over There" 
totally grabbed my attention.

Hmmm . . . I'm already making 
a traditional string quilt for the challenge.

What if I make a second string quilt
but make it in a seriously liberated manner?!?




I made a quick sketch and came up with 
these not-all-the-same block shapes.

I'll use their reverse side as foundations
since this will be a 24" x 24" wall quilt
and I won't mind the extra weight.




I rummaged around and found the last trimmings from
the Tula Pink backing of Awaken for the accent strips.

Next I pulled out a selection of greens for the strings.

(note: since the March kitchen table quilt - Bonheur - 
is still waiting to be quilted, we've been using 
Awaken's reverse side on our table this month)




I pulled the Laurel Burch piece (lower left)
 from the pile and use it for the liberated snowballed corners.

I've named this quilt-in-making Reverdie
which essentially means the re-greening
that happens each spring.



Here's a better explanation from page 65 
in the book GREEN by Michael Pastoureau.



Finally I pulled out another piece of yardage
to use for the backing.

Oh, yes - this one will be FUN!


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Who else wants to shut off their phone, drive to the beach, forget everything, and just listen to the sound of the waves crashing?”
Unknown

11 comments:

EYSchmitt said...

What a luscious bunch of greens you have! This will be one verdant quilt!

compusword said...

Love the not-all-the-same-size blocks! Makes for a very interesting arrangement with just enough order to not jar the viewer's eye. Pulls the viewer in. Also, the greens are oh-so lovely - am salivating, but with great SEWcial distance. Liz in Houston

QuiltGram said...

Enjoying these greens especially with touches of pink as sleepy Maine is in the process of shaking off winter and starting to Spring forth again. We are beginning to have small parches of green grass peeping up in our yard. Looking at your beauties does great things for one’s soul!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Fun, indeed!!!

Magpie Sue said...

I admit to not understanding your plan for the back of Reverdie - I suppose mostly due to the massive headache I have at the moment - but I'm totally on board for a trip to the ocean side to listen to the waves. :-)

Janie said...

How green and exciting! Wow!
Jill's work is fabulous isn't it?
I like your ideas and plans and I'll stay tuned to see the progress, what fun.
And I'll meet you at the beach.

Ann said...

I enjoy Jill's quilts and look forward to seeing how you implement her idea. What a great way to stretch and grow.

Mystic Quilter said...

I',m excited about this new piece you're going to be working on - your collections of rich greens is amazing!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh such pretty greens - and I love your inspiration!

Pam Dempsey said...

Beautiful! In your last photo - the green squares on right for the backing - where did you find this? Its SO pretty!!! You have an amazing stash :)

MissPat said...

Your greens are so scrumptious. I love them all. And, alas, I think they've now closed the beaches, too.