Lynne gave me this book - GREEN: The History of a Color
by Michael Pastoureau for Christmas last year.
Little did she know that green was to be the subject of
this year's challenge for the Davies Quilt Show.
I really like the definition of VIRIDIS -
"everything that is green or pertains to the color green."
Seems like a terrific name for a quilt.
Little Man kindly shared his cold with us
when he was here last weekend,
so I didn't feel much like standing and cutting squares
for the back of the 70s quilt (or much of anything else).
Instead, I pulled out these green strings
and some 1" (cut) strips of pink and started playing.
(because this will be a 24" x 24" wall quilt, I'm not
bothered about the weight of sewing onto muslin squares
that will remain inside the finished quilt)
A few hours later I had sixteen 6" (finished) string blocks.
(I have put them away for the time being
until there is space to arrange them on the design wall,
so the layout you see here is not the final one)
Considering how gray and rainy
and just plain dreary it was outdoors,
these happy greens definitely lifted my spirits.
Now if only they could cure a cold . . .
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
Robert McCloskey





17 comments:
My favourite colour! I like those tiny touches of pale pink a lot - very nicely judged.
Your strings look good. I like green as long as it doesn't lean toward lime. But I seem to be liking green more as I get older. Old dog, new tricks.
xx, Carol
You have wonderful greens in your stash! My heart just went pitter-pat. Looking forward to the finish here.
Oooooo this is pretty. I like it lots. I love green, and green gems, and the colors you picked, especially the tiny pink strips with the greens.
Green is one of my favorite colors. SEW looking forward to seeing what these blocks become!!
They look like spring. I was just sorting my green scraps this morning as I bought some new organizing drawers on sale (10 drawers on wheels).
I love the green strips with the pink...yes, it is rainy here as well
Your greens are luscious.
Oh, the quote!! I'm thinking that quote needs to be a quilt....hmmmmmm....
Beautiful fabrics! They are looking wonderful in the strings. I sort of have a love/hate relationship with greens. They are so peaceful to work with, but then the outcome doesn't always meet expectations for some reason!:)
I even like lime green, I know very shocking! My favorite green lately is Wasabi, a Kona Cotton solid.
So your green string blocks are fabulous.
Funny quote too, communication is often an enigma.
Loving green and pink together--and you know Ojos is my very favorite block, too--super hope your cold melts away soon...hugs, Julierose
Lovely green selection! I don't use alot of green, but I decided it was everywhere in nature and so have made an effort recently to include it! Wasabi green seems to ground things!
Quilted Crops! Almost like the "lily pads" one can see from the sky... a different meaning for crop circles! Spring is springing up an the winter wheat is greening up the brown fields!
I have always known that green was your color!
Luscious is the only way I can describe this quilt! Those greens are delicious and the thin pink strips just leap out.
I LOVE this green and pink!!!
Post a Comment