It has taken several days to quilt
all 22 passes across the 70s quilt sandwich.
I stitched unmarked liberated free motion Baptist Fans
using Glide thread in German Granit (no e)
and it took all seven bobbins
plus two (!) needle changes.
[Max uses “Smart Bobbins”
(Style L that holds 110 yards)
rather than the optional “Big Bobbin”
(Style M that holds 220 yards)]
![]() |
| 159 no-longer-needed pins and pinmoors |
Even by spacing out the quilting sessions
I still have a painfully sore right shoulder and neck.
It needs a chance to heal
before I work on the binding and label.
* * *
Max did great with only a few puffy stitches
where there were four layers AND a lumpy seam
from Ms. Zinnia's piecing.
The most problematic areas involved all four layers
plus that protective fusible on the stars in the backing.
With the numerous challenges of this quilt
I'm absolutely thrilled with how flat it lays
and that there are no tucks or puckers in the back.
(working on my own quilts with only top, batting, and back
is going to feel like a dream after wrestling with this one)
Here is the freshly quilted top.
(not yet "tamed" to remove the excess around the edges)
Here is the freshly quilted back.
(yes, that lower edge was too close for comfort)
And here's a detail shot of the three stars
that were removed from the front
and worked into the scrappy back.
The quilted fans actually show up better
on the quilt's reverse than on the front.
(once I get the edges cleaned up
I'll get actual finished dimensions)
* * *
The best part is that even though I lost
three weeks to the cold/sinus crud
I still have a generous week
to let my shoulder/neck recover
and get this completely finished
ahead of the deadline.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“We have two years and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.”
Epictetus





19 comments:
Wow! What an amazing piece of work....this is such a WIN! You have outdone yourself on this....it is a fascinating piece to look and the back is as terrific as the front. I love seeing older tops being given new life with a proper finish and you have done this here. You are honoring our quilting tradition by creating a beautiful and useful object that will give pleasure for years to come. Congratulations on this momentous finish!
Sounds like it may be time to get some RAILS for Max to ride! Best of luck with the finishing, Julie. The quilt is SEW delightful!!
Just love the front and the back. It looks so comforting. I know what you mean about the neck and back. I have a sitdown long arm as well and it can get a little overwhelming if I don't pace myself correctly especially on the big ones. You did a great job.
It's terrific, front AND back; now ice that shoulder and take good care of yourself, it looks absolutely amazing!
YAY! It's a beauty.
I like the fans quilting on it!
whew! what a job!
Just a beautiful quilt--I can see why your shoulder/arm is hurting...Rest up now,,,you deserve it hugs, Julierose
It may have been a lot of work but it was worth it. The quilt looks great! A heroic effort that worked out. Yay!
Amazing - what a rescue! I like the back just as much as the front.
That is so Awesome!!!! The back is just as cool as the front!!
Oh, well done! Congratulations on the finish of the quilting! Time for a well deserved rest (and heating pad!). :-)
Wow, looks terrific quilted. Certainly must have been a bundle to move around and quilt. Rest up. You can't go anywhere.
It's certainly a wonderful quilt, I can't stop looking at it! I love how you have quilted it too.
Fantastic!
Congratulations! I love the colors, good back design too. Hope the soreness clears up soon for you. Have a great day.
It looks great Julie!
Congratulations, Julie. The scrappy stars are wonderfully exciting on the front but I always love your backs. It's so impressive how you use so many smaller pieces. I really must "screw up my courage" and attempt your style sometime. The stars on the back made me laugh.
What a tremendous result Julie - congratulations!! Your border fabrics are perfectly in keeping with the look and style of those blocks, I love your backing arrangement!
LOVE scrappy string stars! Looking great!
Post a Comment