This is the quilt that inspired Sea of HSTs . . .
that and the fact that I was left with
a large stack of leftover batik triangles
after making Someday is Now.
"Triangles in Squares"
Maker Unknown - Gee's Bend, Alabama - 1970s
76-3/8" x 76-1/2"
Part of the Ella King Torrey Collection
of African American Quilts
at the Philadelphia Museum of Art
Accession No. 2006-163-4
I've posted about the background work for this project
This past week it was finally time
to start laying out parts on the design wall.
LOTS of experimentation was involved
including raiding the project box
for Lagniappe to swap out several fabrics.
By Friday the layout was settled
and a plan for the extra pieces devised.
Clearly this one is a challenge to take photos indoors.
(my design wall is NOT that pink)
The sewn-together center measured
33" wide by 45" long.
Once the borders were sewn in place
the quilt top measured
45" x 57"
And then it was time to work with
the leftover HST blocks.
I created two 67" long insert strips
to use in the quilt's back.
From the Outside In by Malka Dubrowsky
and Typewriter Keys by Julia Rothman.
Both of these have been in the stash
waiting patiently for a long time.
The colors in the top in this outdoor photo
are closer to reality but now they look faded out.
The neatly folded top and back are headed
to the closet of waiting-to-be-quilted projects.
I hope they don't wait there too long
because I really like this one's quirky nature.
(I'm thinking August needs to be a month
for quilting and finishing . . . )
* * *
There were nine extra sets of 4 HTSs plus one single
left behind after making inserts for the back.
I'll share their fate next week -
and it did not involve the trash can.
Quiltdivajulie
----------------------------------
"You need to let little things that would ordinarily bore you suddenly thrill you."
Andy Warhol











25 comments:
You DEFINITELY have a way with scraps, Julie! Quirky is a perfect descriptor for this quilt.
Absolutely gorgeous color choices...this is a beautiful rich looking quilt...hugs, Julieose
What a beautiful quilt! Thank you for the inspiration! Have a lovely day!
Well, it is quirky and it isn't. It is pretty sophisticated in nuances of the palette. The floral and the batik combo is absolutely my favorite. This quilt is instant happiness to my eyes.
It is serene and lovely; you're the only person I know that can keep all your projects in line and order with such efficiency. This is a treasure, Julie!
Love love LOVE it!
Your interpretation is full of life. Yes definitely don't forget it, can't wait to see how your inventive brain comes up with quilting it. The colors are soft, but that allows the pattern to come through. A good example of repetition in art. Thanks for sharing it with us. LeeAnna
Oh I like its Quirky Nature too!!
Beautiful!!!
The tris changing directions make me smile :)
Your color palette is devine! and I love the way you handled the outside borders....I learn something from you with every post! Thanks!
I love this quilt! The fabrics you used are fabulous. The piece has a calm feel despite the variety of fabrics! Great job.
A great quilt! I love its 'quirkyness' and how the colours blend in & out.
Love you interpretation. Great colors.
You may have read my comment on your Instagram post, but I say again how much I love this quilt, the design and colour. Your mix of fabrics are tremendous and especially I like the way you have gathered them together in the border.
Yup, this is seriously awesome. It should live in New Hampshire. I'm just sayin...
This is amazing! Love it so much. I could just imagine curling up with this quilt and never letting go! I have been eyeing your inspiration piece and thinking it could easily end up being a squirrel for me.:) lol
That must have been a LOT of trimming, Julie. Bet your studio floor was covered in aqua dust. It is a soft and a beautiful finish - like it belongs in a seaside resort where you wake up to the gentle sounds of the waves and spend the evening looking at the sun go down in the ocean. And when it gets chilly and you snuggle with your loved one, this quilt will keep you warm. How long before it is done, Julie? You call it a sea of HSTs. I call it HSTs by the sea :-)
Love it! I just want to jump in!
That is lovely!
This is so seriously gorgeous, I'd be starting the quilting immediately!
I love EVERYTHING about this quilt, the blocks, the sashing, the borders, the back, the fabrics, the colors. Yes, everything. The way your put it all together is Wonderful.
Zowie! I love this quilt - front and back!!
What a fabulous way to use your HSTs. And the extras on the back. Wow. Love the way you coordinate your backs with the fronts. Congratulations on a beautiful finish.
Post a Comment