Monday, March 11, 2019

Lagniappe - Using Those Cut Off Corners


I wasn't going to do this . . . 

I was going to toss those extra corner pieces in the trash.

But I just couldn't do it.

I even rescued the remains of the failed design slab
(see previous post)
so I could cut a few extra half square triangles.

But what to do with them?!?




It didn't take long to connect the dots.




I inherited this elderly quilt book not long ago
and instantly fell in love with Bertha.




This was the updated version as shown in the book.




Which reminded me SO much of this quilt from
Roderick Kiracofe's Unconventional and Unexpected book.




And I knew what I wanted to do with my scrappy HSTs.




I did a bit of shopping in the stash
and came up with the fabrics on the right
to use for scrappy sashing strips and
the fabrics at the top to create a scrappy back.

I'll use the purple spiral for binding.




Next I cut HSTs from the last of 
my turquoise Cherrywood fabric and
most of my turquoise Concrete fabric.

I've sewn some of the pairs together already
just so I could see how my idea would work.

Now as I make the remaining blocks for Catharsis,
I will cut HSTs from each set of cut off corners.

And soon I'll be able to make a U&UQAL
challenge quilt using those rescued bonus pieces.




I really wasn't going to do this . . . 

but I'm glad the squirrels encouraged me to go for it.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
Lagniappe defined - from The Free Dictionary:  
"We picked up an excellent word—a word worth traveling to New Orleans to get; a nice, limber, expressive, handy word-'lagniappe'.... It is the equivalent of the thirteenth roll in a 'baker's dozen.' It is something thrown in gratis, for good measure." In this passage from his memoir Life on the Mississippi (1883), Mark Twain calls his readers' attention to an American regionalism that he thinks deserves to be better known, lagniappe. The story of lagniappe begins in South America: it ultimately comes from the word yapay, "to give more," in Quechua, the language of the rulers of the Inca Empire. The Quechua word was borrowed into Spanish as a noun spelled either llapa or ñapa, meaning "bonus, a little something extra added as a gift," and the word then spread throughout the Spanish of the Western Hemisphere. Eventually, the Spanish phrase la ñapa, meaning "the gift," entered the rich Creole dialect mixture of New Orleans, where the whole phrase came to be thought of as a single word and acquired the French spelling lagniappe. The word was then borrowed into the English of the region. Lagniappe continues to be used in the Gulf states, especially southern Louisiana, to denote a little bonus that a friendly shopkeeper might add to a purchase. By extension, it may mean "an extra or unexpected gift or benefit."

20 comments:

Robby said...

Lagniappe, indeed. This will be very fun. Sometimes it is those unexpected squirrels that really become great.

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Brilliant!!!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

As usual, you get a big "wow" from me! This is going to be great!

Judy in Michigan said...

The word "lagniappe" is used during the Christmas season in Rochester, Michigan. They have an amazing light display that starts early in December. The night before the lighting or some time near that date, the merchants have a "Lagniappe Night" - the merchants give a little extra to their customers.

Mari said...

Great use for those corners! I love the turquoise with them, too. Gives the quilt some zing. Looking forward to seeing this one progress. Have a great day!

Quilting Babcia said...

Perfect use for your bonus corners. And I loved the history lesson too.

audrey said...

There are some parts and pieces that almost end up making a better quilt than the original! lol This is going to be fabulous.:)

Barb said...

My Mother-in-law used that word, she was Danish. And yes, it meant a little gift - the extra. Rich and I often give one at a dinner party or holiday party.
Rich's mom gave us a little money Lagniappe often when we were first married.
Your project is great and so is that book! I have it and just looked through it last week. what are the chances?

Millie said...

OH! I love the way you are using those leftover bits. And I love Bertha!

LA Paylor said...

A little something extra! In honor of Mardi Gras week and New Orleans! That was the first place I learned of lagniappe. Love this idea Julie. It's got great lines.
LeeAnna

Linda Swanekamp said...

Just love the process of how you get your ideas. The scrappy corners are quite nice- so glad you did not pitch. Thanks for the inspiration.

Cindy said...

I already know I am going to LOVE this quilt!!!! The turquoise is perfect!!!!! And Bertha, oh how wonderful she is!

Magpie Sue said...

While your version of Bertha is going to be wonderful I'm really drawn to Bertha herself. Maybe it's the color scheme? I don't believe I've ever seen that book before; might have to look for it!

Robin said...

Fascinating quilt project. You have such great fabrics in your stash. I don't blame your for not wanting to throw the extra triangles away. Looks like you are having fun.

Cathy said...

Oh, I don't know how you could even think of throwing away those luscious bits! So glad you didn't because you've come up with an excellent plan for them.

And I'm so inspired by Bertha!

Lynnwa said...

Me too, I don't know how you could throw something like those away, I make them on purpose and use them! Loved the colors of them and how you wound up using them. So happy you saved this art instead of tossing them!

Nancy in NV-wheres the dude at blogspot said...

I'm looking forward to your progress on this project.

Vicki W said...

Some of my favorite quilts are the ones that are the bonus quilts made from the scraps of the original planned quilt. I think this one is going to be a winner!

QuiltGranma said...

Excellent choice not to throw those out. Wonderful old book full of ideas there to enjoy and inspire!

Nann said...

I came to this post after reading the Dumpster Diving tutorial. I like the DD Diagonal blocks -- but I really, really like the lagniappe geese! Thanks for both, Julie.