Saturday, June 20, 2026

Studio Improvement


This is the top of the drawer unit that sits beside Max's table.  

For the longest time, I've used two utility mats made using leftovers from previous quilts on that top.  

Not ideal but it was what I had on hand.


When I finished Xanadu (reveal post with photos coming soon), I had eight four-patch HST sets leftover.

AHA - they would make a single mat just the right size . . .

And so I used those leftover blocks, leftover binding, leftover backing, and the same thread to make this 12" x 24" utility mat.


And this is how the top looks after the upgrade.  

Fluffy approves and so do I.


The smaller of the two removed utility mats now sits happily under the bobbin drawer unit at the back corner of Max's table.  

I've used this mug mat under Max's bobbin winder ever since Max arrived.  

Seeing these in the background as I quilt makes me happy.


I'm happy to share that Morning Fog is indeed pin basted and the thread color has been decided.  

The binding fabric (foreground) has been pressed and is ready to be cut into strips.

I might just get this one finished before June ends - stay tuned.  


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"If happiness happens, say thanks."
Marlene Dietrich

8 comments:

Dreaming said...

Hmmm, I am thinking that lavender/purple may just be your 'happy' color!

Julierose said...

Great use of leftovers, QDJulie;))) Morning fog is so pretty..great that
it is now all pin basted up for you...have fun quilting this beauty;)))
hugs, Julierose

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It makes the whole room feel fresh when something new is added to the decor. Great use of the leftovers..

Juliann said...

Oh what a fun idea - using leftovers for utility mats. Thanks

The Joyful Quilter said...

Enjoy your new utility mat, Julie, and happy quilting on Morning Fog!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Nice refresh! A dealer is coming on Thursday to look at my longarm because it is not behaving, so I will try to clean up around there and refresh the area. Pretty frustrated with that machine.

Nann said...

The significance of Where the Wild Things Are on Max's table is not lost on me.

Cherie Moore said...

Oh, that's awesome you used all leftovers for the new mat. I love that phone holder....it works really well.