Razzle-Dazzle is finished at last. It has been just over five years since the initial brights on black strips were cut from fabrics in the stash.
Originally those strips were intended to become a set of six placemats, but in June 2022 while visiting Lynne in NH and making my first scrap slab triangles using her tutorial, that plan abruptly changed.
Once home, I started piecing the 88 brights on black triangles in July 2022, quickly realizing I needed to cut even more strips from the stash; especially since a whole lot of the original strips were already being used to piece a donation quilt top named B.O.B.
By September 2022, Razzle-Dazzle's final layout was pinned to the design wall, including each block's scrappy black on white side triangles.
The project stayed on the design wall until spring 2023, when I finally started assembling the three-piece blocks (a triangle plus two side setting triangles, framed on the outer edges with Tula Pink Lineworks "Read Between the Lines" zebras).
The top was completed in June, 2023 (8 columns wide x 11 rows; 51" x 70").
The scrappy back was also pieced in June 2023, using four prints from the stash: NIGHT BLOOM b Chong-a-Hwang for Timeless Treasures, TOSSED MASQUARADE (sic) LADIES from Loralei Harris Designs, a print by Debi Payne for QT Fabrics, and ISLAND PALM LEAVES from Tropical Breeze line by Greta Lynn for Kanvas.
In order to make the backing long enough, I added the horizontal insert using seven rows of pieced 2.5" strips left after making the top.
Once quilted, it was time to make a final decision on the binding.
Surprise! I found some already-made binding lurking in my leftover/set aside binding stash that was absolutely perfect and not one of the previous choices. It had been made from the last of a long-stashed Henry Glass wide back named Circle Play by designer Color Principle.
This photo shows the four different corners of the back with the newly-finished binding.
And this photo shows a better detail of the insert strips.
Finished size: 49.5" x 68.5"
* * *
Such a gloriously scrappy quilt - I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------"If happiness happens, say thanks."
Marlene Dietrich
13 comments:
definitely a WOW quilt....sooo pretty
Congrats on another delightful quilt finish, Julie! You absolutely found the perfect binding. SEW lucky!
I absolutely love it too, QDJulie--what a dazzler is right!! Wonderful array of fabrics --I especially love the B&W strips all around--this is a beauty...Lovely work hugs, Julierose
Love the 'happy scrappy'! I enjoy the juxtaposition of the b & w's with the brights. Lovely!
An eye-popper -- gorgeous!
Oh I LOVE this quilt!!! The zebra border is perfect. I have some of the Sam I Am fabric but I'm rationing the tiny scraps so that each scrappy neutral project gets a piece. The back is FANTASTIC!!!
That was a great use of both kinds of fabric, darks and lights. When I first looked at it I was seeing through a grid to color on black. Then I concentrated on the diamonds and they seemed to be floating on top.
I absolutely love it too!
What a FABULOUS quilt!! I spotted a lot of fabrics that are in my stash and this inspires me to play with them ...
STUNNING, WOW, and more! LOVE the amazing collection of B/W in the sashing is just ONE comment.
Charlotta Norby charlotta58@gmail.com here - definitely amazing! And so impressed that you’re showing off all your bound corners. After 25+ years of binding quilts I have pretty much given up on corners. I now round all my corners, using a dinner plate, if there’s any way I can get away with it. I have found that even straight cut binding sews on very nicely around those corners, and there’s no silly mitering, which for whatever reason I could never master.
Both the front and back are spectacular!! A delightfully talkative quilt if there ever was one 😁
What a stunner of a quilt! Even the back is wonderful.
Post a Comment