Monday, July 4, 2022

Placemats No More - Introducing Razzle-Dazzle


Back in January, I cut strips from a lot of brights on blacks because my resource box was overflowing (you can read that post HERE).

Nothing had happened with that project so when I started making scrap slabs at Lynne's house, the first thing I thought of was "I can use those already-cut strips of brights on blacks!"

And so, instead of continuing with Kefi's dark green blocks, I took a detour and spent much of Saturday power sewing slabs.  

Totally . . . in . . . love . . . with these.  


I had cut three test triangles early on to be sure - there was NO question that I would keep going.



After making 20 slabs that will yield 3 or 4 triangles each, I realized I needed more strips.

These were cut on Sunday, again from the resource box that had mysteriously re-filled itself plus a few from the almost-gone pieces of yardage.

(the strips at the top are short and will be sewn end-to-end before being cut into lengths like the others, most of which are WOF)

Be still my heart!



I just HAD to cut one more set of triangles so I could consider what I might want to use for the sides.  

I have decided but you'll see those later.  There are a lot more slabs to make and a lot more triangles to cut out - in between working on KEFI's blocks.

 . . . And yes, I really do struggle with ADQD (Attention Deficit Quilting Disorder).  

SO many possibilities!

Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“What an utter disgrace it would be to find something truly magic and spend any time at all pretending and trying to convince yourself it is all just an unbelievably orchestrated illusion.”
Tyler Knott Gregson


15 comments:

Sally Langston Warren said...

I am watching this with great anticipation! I seem to have a lot of black with bright prints fabric and haven’t found a project for them. There is a good side to your ADQD: you put your ideas to action (and don’t just THINK about it). We all benefit.

Sally Langston Warren said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jennifer said...

definitely LOVING the bright, eclectic, scrappy COLORFUL vibe! i have my bright blacks sorted and ready to sew into crumb blocks soon. i have a HUGE pile of crumbs- in SO MANY colors. getting excited and gathering ideas with what i might do with them...
( i really do lean towards squares. haha. but i have branched out into a few triangles this year! haha. )

Linda Swanekamp said...

Thanks for giving a name to what I suffer with. The strips and triangles just shimmer with pricks of bright lights. It is going to be wonderful.

Julierose said...

Just the lovliest triangles!! This will be amazing...hugs, Julierose

Darlene said...

I too have ADQD, especially after seeing your amazing ideas! I love what’s happening with your Kefi project and now this, be still my heart indeed! Looking forward to seeing what you’ll pair with these. I’m curious what your resource box is? Do you have a post about what it is and how it’s used? Thanks for sharing your continuous flow of inspiration ❤️

Happy 4th of July🎆🇺🇸

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

The blacks with brights are looking so good in the triangles.

Cathy said...

I have ADQD too! Isn't that a good thing??

Can't wait to see what you will use for the sides. I know what I would use!

MissPat said...

I get so excited when I see that I have some of the same fabrics as you do. Now if I could only be as productive as you are.
Pat

Barb N said...

ADQD is a real medical issue! And like a virus it spreads without even knowing. But that's okay. Your strip triangles will be gorgeous!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Wow! Those triangles are terrific! You mentioned your "resource box that had mysteriously re-filled itself". You know that these bins and boxes have magical powers don't you? Unless you're prepared for overflow you simply can't leave them alone in the dark!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Those are really cool!
At least ADQD works for you haha!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Looking forward to seeing what you will pair with these super fun triangles, Julie!!

Cherie Moore said...

It is so fun to see your versions of Lynne’s pattern. LOVE the colorful black fabrics……gotta love detours in fabric land :-)

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh Julie the fabrics all lined up here are just glorious, I love them!!
Your slab triangles definitely warrant your comment 'be still my heart'.