Back in January I decided to make an all-pink quilt using fabrics in the stash - squirrel alert.
My initial plan was to use the Happy Strips pattern by Quilty Love like I used for Brumous.
A few weeks later, that plan changed to making another Maggie Pearl quilt (same design as I used for RUTH - which was donated as a top to Many Hands Many Hearts to become a comfort quilt).
And in mid-June Lynne decided to use green scraps and make another Deco quilt from the book Colorful Quilts for Fabric Lovers - see her post HERE.
Well - THAT got the squirrels in my studio all excited.
The photo above shows my array of pink strips ready to be sub cut into rectangles to make a Deco quilt of my own.
(Later on I pulled out the dark pink with black dots and substituted another fabric in its place - ditto for the strip with blue polka dots)
Thursday evening, after all of the segments were cut and prepped, I sorted them into groups of three and then stacks of ten blocks. My layout will be 9 blocks wide by 12 blocks long - 56" x 72" ish.
It doesn't show well in the photos, but my accent square's fabric has just a touch of iridescence and dimensionality. That fabric has been in the stash and I've resisted using it because so I don't run out - silly me. There's always more fabric!
The photo above might help explain my reasoning. The panel will be part of Trouvaille's pieced backing.
(Oh - and I forgot to add that Trouvaille is a French noun meaning something lovely discovered by chance)
As of Friday evening, here are the first five rows of pressed blocks on the design wall.
By Saturday noon-time, the rest of the blocks were sewn together and ready to be pressed.
Like so many other places, it is V-E-R-Y H-O-T here (heat indexes predicted to easily top 100 several days this week) so I need to use the iron early in the morning and not late in the day.
* * *
The squirrels and I are very happy about this design change. The previously stalled project is now moving forward quickly and should become a top soon.
I've even had a Eureka kind of idea for the backing - stay tuned for that.
(That's an older photo of Flash and Mischief - you can read more about my studio squirrels and the Ad Hoc Squirrel Club using the links below and in the blog's sidebar)
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------"You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch."
Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland
10 comments:
now that is PINK!! i am liking those panel blocks as well...good fabric choices...yes VERY HOT here as well, indexes over 100...ick
Loving your pink WIP on your wall, QDJulie;))) I have just pulled pink/peach fabrics for something--as yet "unknown" ; the colors just called to me..
Our "feels like" temp got to 102 at 7 pm last evening...the "dog days" of summer used to be in august, but seem to be happening much earlier now...
Hugs, Julierose
The iridescent blue is the perfect add to pull it all together with the panel for the back. Plus, since it’s saved, special fabric, it will be an extra special quilt :)
Yep -- "there will always be more fabric." I remind myself of that, and sometimes I manage to Cut It Up (whatever that particular "it" happens to be). Great design change!
Yes, use the good stuff! It will make you twice as happy in a quilt than a fabric in a stack.
Very nice! I like it. Know that your squirrels have made a side trip to my house...
SEW pretty in pink, Julie!
Pretty in pink! The blue fabric is perfect together with the pink, glad you decided to use it.
Oh those squirrels - just wreaking havoc all over the place!! this is a great one - love the pop of teal!!
I love this quilt! How big are the rectangles and the accent square? Thanks! quiltnurs@yahoo.com
Post a Comment