Tuesday, May 20, 2025

Every Picture Tells a Story


I've been working on this project for a long time (short bursts followed by long periods of neglect) but now it is finally finished.

I didn't use the book as it was intended though . . . 


Instead I pulled out the box of random abandoned vintage photos (also used in this project) and a stack of abandoned 35mm slides.

I went through the book itself and added a layer of rice paper to stabilize the pages.  Then I added bits of torn neutral papers throughout.


After altering the slide frames and adding photos where their negatives had been, I started adhering the captioned photos and slides to the pages.


Almost all of the photos have captions while only a few of the slides have words on them.


If you're wondering, this is how I added photos into the empty slide frames (I had popped all of the negatives out of their frames before starting).


Most of the pages tell some sort of imaginary story through the interaction of the slide image and the photograph. 


If I'm not mistaken, this vintage group photo was taken on top of Mt. Washington ( Lynne and I visited there in 2022 - 2d post link).


There are 52 pages in the book, each with a photo and a slide (sometimes more depending on the photo sizes).

This finish feels particularly satisfying.  So many random bits and pieces have found a new home instead of being stashed and "saved for a rainy day." 

(this finish counts as number 163 on my list of 365 Somethings for 2025)  

* * *

The first three utility mats for June have their binding finished.  Eight more to go . . . 


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Don't be afraid of silly ideas."
Paul Arden 

3 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

WOW!! What a treasure of a book you've created and rightly so you feel that the finish is 'particularly satisfying'. You have a tremendous imagination to produce your books and journals whilst also creating quilts - at quite a rate!

Nann said...

Such fun, Julie! I was thinking of those stories with the photo collages we made, and the family photos the granddaughters scanned last weekend.

iHanna said...

Cool project. And how wonderful that you are still going strong with the 365 somethings in 2025!!