I've been dithering over how I wanted to approach the strip cutting for Shirts and Such, hence the procrastination.
But I've decided how I want to move forward and the cutting of strips from those stacks of fabric on my cutting table has been completed.
Whew!
I have always loved my Groundhog Day quilt, so I decided to model Shirts and Such after it.
(You can scroll through the Groundhog Day posts by clicking HERE)
It took me a couple of days to get the scraps and WOF strips cut and then sub-cut into 8" lengths, but it is done and the excess yardage is put back on the shelves.
I decided to make the insert strips using five different shades of Cherrywood pinks. All of these are cut 2.5" wide by randomly-chosen heights between 1.5" and 2.5".
When I start sewing, I'll start with these. I'll need 22 insert strips 8" long (2 for each of the 11 rows).
Once that is done, I'll work my way through each of the different strip fabrics and distribute them onto 88 plates. After sewing and trimming, there will 88 blocks at 7" (finish size 6.5") once layout time arrives, likely sometime next year.
Target size will be 52" ISH x 72" ISH.
And this is how my cutting table looks now - empty and ready for me to pin baste Spoondrift, at long last.
WOOT!
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------"The first thing to do is start and the second is to continue."
Chinese proverb
10 comments:
Love those cherrywood spacers--this will be so pretty ;))) Hugs, Julierose
Wow! That s going to be a good one. I love the Groundhog Day.
Wonderful to have a clean surface. However, also wonderful to have a project start on it also. Nice plans!
That looks like a great combination of fabrics and I like the design of the quilt too.
Oh, how I love a clean worktable too! I'm currently working on a quilt from shirts as well; a memory quilt.
I'm liking the fabrics chosen for your latest quilt, I think it's going to be a very relaxing quilt. and just been reading once again your Groundhog Day posts - love it!
Another lovely palette. The soft pink solids will enhance the blue/lavender.
Have been enjoying your processes of creating beautiful masterpieces!! When you use abundant numbers of strips like this in your quilts do you iron seams open? Beth in AL
Looking forward to seeing how this one comes together, Julie. Happy basting! I'm sure it will feel good to take the next step with Spoondrift.
Thats a lot of strips!!
Post a Comment