Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Introducing Fire and Ice


This is the face of a very happy Young Man.

I had invited him to the studio on Saturday afternoon  to die cut tumblers.  (heat index was 107 - not a good day to play outside) He loves to help stack the fabrics, turn the die cutter's handle, peel off the excess edges, and sort the cut pieces that result.

It didn't take long before he pulled some fiery red-rust yardage off the shelf -- "Mee Mah, can we make a quilt with this?"

How did I not see THAT coming ?!?!  


I handed him some mixed media paper and my box of Tombow dual tip brush pens and asked him if he could draw out his idea.

My immediate thought was The Yellow Quilt.  I showed him a photo and he said "yes" without hesitation.

I had asked him to choose six "fire" (warm) colors and six "ice" (cool) colors which he did with the help of my gorilla step stool so he could reach the top shelves without asking for help. 

(I still can't believe he'll be eight in just over a month) 


As I was rotary cutting 6.5" strips and squares from his chosen fabrics, I heard him ask "how does this thing work" as he kept poking the screen without result.

I explained that he had to use the buttons ("it's not like your tablet") and he happily made a label for his new quilt's project box.


Once the squares were pressed (my job), he worked on the layout.  

His focus, explanation of thought process, sense of color, and placement decisions are a joy.


Less than 90 minutes after he initiated the project, he posed with his results.


I told him I didn't have any big-enough yardage to make a back with all one fabric.

"That's okay, Mee Mah.  I like it when the back has lots of different fabrics in it."

So back to the yardage shelves we went.

Again, his choices surprised and delighted me.

The black and blue jumble fabric will be used for borders and the geode print will be the binding (again, his choices).


Finally he scurried off to my thread cabinet and picked out this color for the quilting.

My goal is to have this ready for him when he stays with us on his next "Mommy and Daddy" have to work" day in about two weeks.

* * *

He told me his idea for the quilt and its name came from his fascination with fire/ice dragons and phoenix and it was wonderful to listen to his reasons for choosing each of the fabrics.  

I'm so grateful he still gets excited by the process of making a quilt from start to finish.

Earlier in the day he had also put together a complicated kit for a solar powered wood car that really works, and he created two sophisticated folded paper swords (stiffened with some of Uncle A's card stock bookmarks) along with several folded paper fortune tellers.  

He has clearly inherited the "maker" gene.  


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"We do not need to teach creativity but rather inspire its daily practice."
Diane Darrow (teacher)

9 comments:

Cathy said...

Oh, I loved seeing and reading about YM's creations. It brings back memories of my grandkids and the fun times we had together in the past creating. Gosh they grow up too fast.

And since I do make quite a few kid's quilts for donation it is also nice to see that a simple yet colorful quilt appeals to kids.

Nancy said...

What a pleasure to see a youngster so engaged and involved from design to assembly! And what a good task for him to be using the cutter. I'm sure he mastered it quickly and is cranking out quilt pieces like a factory. He's done a fine job with his new Fire and Ice quilt.

Julierose said...

what a wonderful thing to witness your grandchild "making" and creating in fabric...Fun times together...hugs, Julierose

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

So much fun fur both of you. it will be interesting to see what career path he will take.

Barbara Anne said...

Love YM's creative love of color, the cutting progress, and his quick ideas for the next quilt, colors, fabrics, borders, and binding. How wonderful! He may become one of the youngest and most talented quilters in years and decades to come...or will quilt for fun if his creative ideas take him into a different field for work.

There is a wonderful book we got for our creative older son in his early teen years titled "How to Think Like Leonardo DaVinci" and there may be a newer edition available, too.

Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Those are some sophisticated color choices! And it shows the advantage of having a stash to enable this type of creative burst.

Ceci

The Joyful Quilter said...

I did NOT see that coming, but boy do I like the fact that YM still gets excited about making quilts with you. Great selections one and all!!

Cherie Moore said...

Oh, I laughed reading about YM using the label maker! And, what, he’s tall enough to reach the top shelves with a step stool? How did that happen!?!? I love that he selected everything, top, borders, binding, backing and thread! Maker gene indeed!

Nann said...

YM's Fire and Ice fabric choices are spot on!