Thursday, March 14, 2024

And Then She Changed Her Mind - DD 12 the Flimsy


For those of you who may have lost track, this was one of my Nov. 2022 inspiration photos for the twelfth Dumpster Diving quilt named Confetti.


When it came time to finally sew DD 12's blocks together yesterday, the sashing shown in previous posts was left behind.

It wasn't needed and it actually detracted from what I've always loved most about the DD quilts, namely the way the colors crash into and collide with each other.


Here's another of the inspiration photos . . . 


And another of the freshly pressed quilt top.

(too windy for outdoor on-the-fence photos)

* * *

I'll add a 2" border of the backing fabric all around to contain the many, many seam ends, but that will be trimmed back once I get to the point of binding (much like I did on No Ugly Flowers).

And if you want to see the previous eleven DD quilts, click over HERE and follow the links.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"I want to access the part of my brain that is willing to surrender control and learn new things.  Play allows me to do this."
Sarah Gardner

10 comments:

Cherie Moore said...

It’s interesting that the inspiration photos have white legos…..you did not include any white in your DD top, which I think would have dulled the lego effect! No Ugly Flowers is one of my all time favorite quilts you’ve made :)

Linda Swanekamp said...

It is great to see how Inspiration carried through to conclusion. You color choices and fabrics were true to the inspiration and could carry the whole structure through. Good inspiration is a faithful leader that can carry ideas to be true to the inspiration or provide a great jumping off point.

Elle said...

I'm glad you didn't sash it. It looks so much better without!!!!

Happy stitching :-)

Julierose said...

And another lovely DD quilt finished--great work on this!! :)))
Hugs, Julierose

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I knew you were considering sashing and am glad you sewed it without it. Of course I like busy quilts so I love the jumbled together look too.

Barbara Anne said...

Perfect as you made it and it's good you realized the green had to go before sewing, thus saving thread, time, and a tad of aggravation! It's all good. :)

Hugs!

Mystic Quilter said...

Those seam ends can be a real nuisance!I'm another who is pleased you decided against the sashing.Who would have thought a heap of Lego bricks would result in this colourful quilt.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Color me unsurprised. I'm sure the sashed option would have been a fine quilt, Julie. You made a good call, though, as now it is so much more joyful! :o))

jmsx3 said...

This was one of the inspirations for the quilt I am working on, and I had decided not to use any sashing. When you started to think about those green strips, I was in a quandrary -- what to do? Now my instinct to just sew the squares together seems to be the way to go! Thank you again for your color inspiration!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I like it unsashed too! Cool quilt!