Prior to this photo, this small shelf unit in my design studio (elder son's former bedroom) was housing my quilting books AND my handmade journals/books.
It was overcrowded and messy.
So I did a lot of looking around online and found this shelf unit from Ikea that fits perfectly between the pressing table and Max's integrated table in my sewing studio (younger son's former bedroom).
(the quilt ladder was in that spot temporarily but it has now moved back to its original location in our office/PT room, the former guest room)
Now my handmade books/journals have their own space with room for quite a few more.
And here is the look when my extra table is put alongside Max's table (to help support the larger quilts' overhang).
Amazing what an under $40 purchase can do for your spirits.
EDIT ADDED LATER:
To answer Cherie's and Gail's question, the bookshelf is not terribly heavy and sits on silicone feet, meaning it can be slid sideways closer to Max's permanent table if I really need to get into the three drawers closest to the wall. The stuff in those rarely needs to be accessed so I don't anticipate a big problem.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------"Getting organized is a sign of self respect."
Gabrielle Bernstein



9 comments:
Quick question, how do you access the file drawers with the bookshelf there? I have a few logistics in my sewing studio I’m working on, mainly too much fabric or not enough storage ;-).
Your journals provide inspiration and having them displayed so nicely adds to that. I assume that the two bedrooms/studios are adjacent to one another so you can easily go from design to execution.
Great that you found a suitable bookcase for your journals...I am moving ALL my paper craft items "to be used in future" to another room...there is just not enough space in my sewing room...I've culled as much fabric as I want/need to pretty much and still have four and one-half shelves-full...plus a few bins with specialties (you know how that goes!!)
I hope to be through with all this reorganizational stuff by end of March...not sewing anything now--just hand quilting and cutting for future projects...
Phew!! Tiring work--mentally also...my olde brain gets tired so fast these days!
I love that quilt on your wall--so beautiful...hugs, Julierose
I've been looking at my sewing areas with an eye to changing...something... too. So may thoughts of "what if I move this here, that there? Oh crap, then *that* won't fit." The big driving force is trying to find a spot to put the complete collection of Quilters' Newsletter Magazine issues so they are accessible after I'm done reading them all the first time. It's hard when I know the true answer is to do a serious decluttering of books that haven't been off the shelves in years. Has anyone ever noticed that 99% of the book decluttering encouragement advice is about non-fiction or college class books?
Anyway, very cool about the new shelf. Though I do have the same question Cherie Moore had about accessing those 3 drawers in the pressing table. Maybe there's more space than what looks like in the photo?
Wow, you've taken up most of the house!! LOL Where do you all sleep? An artist needs room, so glad you can use it for all your amazing work.
More shelving and better storage is always a wonderful blessing and don't those rainbow journals look snazzy in their new location?
I'm also looking for where I can put more storage, but seem to be maxed out in my wee sewing room. Still, I can cut fabric and sew, so am not completely up the proverbial rillet without a means of locomotion.
I'm another person wondering about how you'll access those 3 drawers with the Ikea shelves in that location.
Hugs!
Being able to slide the bookshelf never entered my mind. I guess because the free-standing ones we have don't have sliders, and they are stuffed full and very heavy, even though the shelves themselves are not.
Your rooms look so polished, light, and bright. I need to put some effort into mine. You’re an inspiration.
Nicely done, Julie! I wonder if I can source a shelf unit to fit the underutilized space between my pressing station and the wall? Off to measure and consult with Google...
Post a Comment