Wednesday, March 13, 2024

ROYGBIV Series - the RED Journal


The RED journal in my ROYGBIV series has been assembled.

And another of my old daily quilt journals has been transformed with a lot of little bits and pieces that now have forever homes.


This is the back - a page from a magazine trimmed to fit and wrap around to the inside a ways.


Inside the front cover I tucked a folded note into the pocket that tells a bit about the project and includes my signature and date.


My favorite Friends used book store had a half-price sale last week which made the children's books a whopping twenty-five cents each.

I curated quite a large stack of them specifically for this red journal but also for the black/white, blue, purple, and yellow-orange editions.


I found Clifford the Big Red Dog, Pete the Cat with his red tennis shoes, Santa Claus, and so many more childhood favorites that you'll see in the photos below.  


I even found a home for this vintage newspaper piece from the 50s (who knows why it was saved for so long).


Llama Llama RED Pajama has been one of Little Man's favorites forever (not so much now but oh, when he was younger we could read it a dozen times in a row and he'd say "Again!').


And who could forget Elmo?


Animal crackers anyone?  

The envelope contains a couple of game cards, one of LM's drawings featuring a lot of red, and a red teabag envelope.


Little RED Riding Hood?  Of course!

And even the Hershey's Kisses Candy Cane flavor is represented.


I'd never read this book but with the red barn as a central character, who could leave it in the bin?


Yes indeed - color makes me happy and so does reducing my paper stash while making something that brings me joy.

* * *


I know some of you really don't get my newfound interest in collage and journal/bookmaking, but the desire to indulge in these art forms has been present for a very long time (witness this post from 2011). 

I'm grateful that last year's 100 Day Challenge allowed me to dive in head first even though I didn't actually make anything for that Challenge.  This year's 100 Days of Tea has gotten as far as Day 11 but at the same time I have already decided to change my focus entirely (not to worry, the tea tags will still be made - just not in this time frame).

(photo above shows the back of one tea tag with notes for its front and the front of the next tea tag colored using Brusho crystals - you can also see how I will organize/display them using binder rings)

So what am I going to do instead?




I plan to create a Doodle a Day in my 5.5" x 8.5" sketchbook that can then be revisited during the June-July ICAD event when I'll pick and choose 61 of the doodles to embellish with colors.

The end goal is to get over my "I can't draw" phobia as it relates to my journals - I really want to make more of my own collage papers going forward, so all of this will hopefully fit together down the road.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
Rubricate:  (verb) to mark or color with red.

8 comments:

Millie said...

Yes you can draw. I could teach you. However I believe doodling has nothing to do with it.

But hey, you know me. I actually CAN draw, and very well. 😊

Anonymous said...

In today's fast-paced world, maintaining optimal energy levels is crucial for staying productive and focused. Online energy supplements in Canada offer a convenient solution for individuals seeking that extra boost to power through their day. Whether you're an athlete striving for peak performance or a busy professional juggling multiple responsibilities, these supplements provide a quick and effective way to replenish your energy stores. With a wide range of options available online, Canadians can easily find the perfect supplement to suit their needs, whether it's a pre-workout formula for the gym or a natural energy enhancer for everyday tasks. Energize your life with online energy supplements in Canada!

Julierose said...

I love seeing your Journals, ADJulie--they are so neat--what a great find of those children's books...--they are such fun to make --a nice change from quilting I think for myself anyway..
thanks for sharing. Doodling is so relaxing isn't it? Hugs, Julierose
.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I am sure I could teach you to draw. If you can print the alphabet, you can draw. Same part of the brain. The Mona Brookes book https://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Children-Creative-Method-Beginners/dp/0874778271 is what broke the barrier for me years ago when it came out. Love all the reds. Reminds me of different fabrics and boy, would I love to cut one out now, but am out of town visiting my sister in Greenville, SC.

Nancy said...

Your journals are happy. And I like gathering the reds like you've done. The doodle a day looks pretty manageable and is a great idea for skill building.

Barbara Anne said...

How marvelous and I'm sure that Young Man will be certain this journal was made just for him!

Both of my parents doodled so, of course, that made me a life-long doodler. Enjoy expanding your skills!

Hugs!

Mystic Quilter said...

Personally I really enjoy seeing your collage and journal, collage and bookmaking come up on your posts. It's good to have more than one interest in life. I get you when you say colour makes you happy - same for me Julie. Doodle a Day - this prject will lend itself to lots of colour when the time comes.

Gail Holt said...

I love seeing your journals. I have recently started making junk journals using discarded medicine boxes. I've got 2 started, and I'm enjoying your progress. None of us need to be limited to just quilting.