Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Studio Time - Part 2 (photo heavy post)


The box contains a lot of more-or-less 14" strips of Dumpster Diving segments ready to be pressed.

(Note of explanation - my iron is plugged into the same power strip as the lamp on my pressing table - if the lamp is on, the iron is on and when the iron is off the lamp is off - and the quilt on the wall was made by Wanda Hanson)


It took a couple of sessions but all of those strips are now pressed flat and ready to be sorted and sewn into more blocks for DD12 - Confetti.


I also pieced the backing for Inglenook.  

Now the top, the batting, and the back are rolled onto pool noodles ready for pin basting.


I don't think I've mentioned it here on the blog, but I signed up for Fodder School 3 (you can read all about it HERE).  

My overarching approach to FS3 is to learn as much as I can in order to move my own projects/ideas forward (unless the instructor's project completely captivates my attention).

This month's project is creating a bespoke coptic bound book.  I started off in one direction then completely changed my mind (huge surprise) and have chosen a different path (more on this once the book is assembled).

That shift in direction left a stack of prepared signatures without a home - so I used a small cardboard box and made a cover (front and spine shown above).


This is the back cover and spine.


A peek inside the front cover . . . 


And a look at the inside back cover.

(I plan to leave the cardboard edges showing as part of the journal's overall vibe)


Here are the prepared but still unattached signatures tucked inside the cover.


All of the black and white pages in the signatures came from a thrifted book on architectural drawing technique.

I plan to use a version of long-stitch bookbinding (another first) to assemble this journal.

Then, when inspiration strikes, it will be ready for collage to be added.


In August, I mentioned playing along with Francisca's Flowers Magic Art Fest 23.

I had plans to make two different journals but after watching all of the videos, absorbing so much new information, and letting things gestate for a while I am not going that route.

At the very end of September, I happily chanced upon this wonderfully intact thrifted 5-ring binder/book . . . 


And now my ideas have coalesced into actual progress!

I've covered the front/back of each of the 17 tabbed dividers and spent several happy hours sorting/prepping papers to become the pages (still more work to be done but that's okay).


I even found the perfect way to (1) cover up the divider pages' printed tabs and (2) actually use pieces from the snippet roll I made.

For now I plan to leave the cover itself as it is but, to no one's surprise, that could change in the future.

* * * 

Lurking in the background are three more five-ring binders that will eventually become more scrappy, eclectic journals.

I enjoy working on the pages before they are added to the journal and the flexibility of a binder makes the arranging process even easier.

SO many possibilities . . . 


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Art is literacy of the heart."
Elliot Eisner

7 comments:

Julierose said...

I have two of those 3-ring binders to play in later on this year--[FYI: Have you seen "the Rebookery" on Youtube ?--Gina did a lot of binder books in her earlier videos]. I will be so interested to see how you use these;)))
I love your long scrappy strippies--I really want to make some of those--I donated all my scrappy strings to a fellow quilter who is just starting out--so amassing once more...
hugs, Julierose

Nann said...

I had to look up Coptic bound. (You'd think with two semesters of Rare Books in library school I'd know something like that. But those semesters were 50 years ago...) The BH&G ring binder is perfect for a scrappy book/scrapbook! Be on the lookout for one of the red-plaid BH&G cookbooks.

Barbara Anne said...

Wow! You're on a roll and have enviable momentum going for you! Sewing and creating wonderful and interesting journal pages, too.

Hugs!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Progress all around, Julie!

Mystic Quilter said...

I love your organisational skills Julie and my goodness you are on a roll with your quilts and your new, beautiful makes. Your coptic bound book is beautiful and I'm really enjoying reading and seeing photos of your projects.

Linda Swanekamp said...

All those sewn fabric strips get my heart pounding- they are so full of verve.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Beautiful projects! I love these strips!