Wednesday, August 2, 2023

And So They Begin




I mentioned in a post last week that I will be playing along with the Flowers Magic Art Fest 2023  (August 5-24) hosted by Francisca Nunes.  I also enrolled in her free Flowers Magic Journal course in preparation for the Fest.  

So, I will eventually be creating two different journals.

The first one's project box and snippet basket are shown above - I've named this one Fabulous Flowers.


This is the project box and snippet basket for the second journal named Stop and Smell the Flowers.


In both cases, I'll be using fabric from the stash to cover the book - Stop and Smell will feature bolder colors.


There are so many different kinds of papers in the Stop and Smell project box.


This is the slightly smaller discarded book and fabric chosen to cover it for journal number 2.


Again, there are so many kinds of papers, but these lean to the less bold and more vintage floral look.


These are my organizational notes.  Time will tell how much holds true.

I already know that I will not have either one of the journals finished before the Art Fest begins, which does not worry me at all.  

I do not want to rush the process and I know I'll be learning so much new information from the multiple instructors that I want to keep all of my options open.


Bottom line - I'm taking Hobbes' advice.  


After all, my primary goal with this mixed media adventures, including these pending Flower Fest journals, is to remain true to myself and honor my four long-standing words - liberated, eclectic, scrappy, and colorful - so that my journals reflect ME.

p.s.  As I've spent more time working in this created space, I've come to realize what DH knew all along as this room used to be his WFH (work from home) office.  The floor in this half of the room is not level.  

For 15 years he used a shimmed sheet of 3/4" plywood covered with a small area rug to make it bearable.  I don't want to create that unlevel walking surface so to prevent further lower back discomfort, I am serious considering moving the art table/supplies into the large closet and shifting both rolling silver shelf units to sit in front of the design walls (far less work/dollars involved than emptying the entire room after figuring out where to temporarily house everything, removing the existing flooring, leveling the subfloor, installing new flooring, and moving everything back into place).  

Time will tell . . . 


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"If I don't have red, I use blue."
Pablo Picasso


7 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

Seriously looking forward to seeing the results of your time in both the flowers Magic Art Fest 2023 and the Flowers Magic Journal course. I'm guessing the results will be magical as I look through your photos here of fabrics to be used and glorious pages of gardens and flower related pages. Good luck with the idea of going with an easier fix regarding the floor level problem.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Oh what fun! I am really looking to following along on this project. Maybe it will inspire me to try something new too.

Nancy said...

You are ready for fun with this! I'm signing up, too. I just love online classes and the variety of projects available through them.

Barbara Anne said...

Good solution for the uneven floor! Who would build a house and leave the floor of a room off level?!

As for your new journals, have fun and enjoy the process of their creation! Your beginning bits and plans are delightful.

Hugs!

Julierose said...

As with Hobbes I am in the "thinking without doing" mode lately too...DH pulled his hamstring badly and is pretty much shuffling around--so, I am kept pretty busy filling in around the house...it does give me plenty of time to think about a new quilting project...
Will be looking forward to seeing your Smell the Flowers projects;)))
hugs, Julierose

The Joyful Quilter said...

Two more days and the adventure begins, Julie! My Flowers Magic journal has been waiting for weeks. I put it together not long after her Francisca's initial announcement, as last year's event was my favorite of 2022!

Pam @ Quilting Fun said...

Can't wiat to see where this goes!