Wednesday, August 4, 2021

August Utility Mats and More



This is the set of five utility mats for August.

One for the cedar chest (16" x  38")
Two for the fireplace hearth (each 13" x 18")
Two for the end tables (16" x 16" each)

I bought this fabric in April 2015
when I stopped at Hancock's of Paducah
after delivering my book manuscript
and all of the book quilts to AQS.

(while originally intended to be a quilt back,
after this length of time I decided it was
more important to USE the fabric instead of 
continuing to wait for the "perfect" quilt top)



From the Cinco de Mayo line 
designed by Greta Lynn for Kanvas.

Quilted with Glide thread in Dijon
using rows of liberated fans.

Bound with Moda's Bella cheddar solid.



July's red-white-blue has been put away
and August's back-to-school has been put out.

(schools here start August 9th)

Center-right of the mantel
with a Curious George lunch box
just out of view.



Center-left of the mantel
with a colorful globe just out of view.




Left end of the hearth.




Right end of the hearth.




One end table's wood bowl.




R-E-S-P-E-C-T on one rocking chair.




Happy Happy Joy Joy (aka HHJJ) on the other rocker.



For the Birds on the back of my recliner
with The Spotted Winkel waiting 
to be put on the back of the couch.



The Eclectic Goose on one side chair 




with Scrappy Kites on the other.


* * *

vacation photo from one week ago

And last but certainly not least . . .

HAPPY FIFTH BIRTHDAY to our
getting-too-grown-up-way-too-fast Little Man!



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“You are all the colors in one, at full brightness.”
Theodore Finch

8 comments:

Cherie in St Louis said...

Oh my goodness! Little man is 5!?!?! What joy and spark grandchildren, especially unexpected ones, add to life, right? Love your back to school decorating!

Pamela Arbour said...

Thanks for sharing everything. I like how you have your quilts on display.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Happy birthday to Little Man!!! It's hard to believe that he's already 5 years old. LOVE your "back to school" displays, Julie! I have all of the decorations for occasions, but never manage to put anything out. :o((

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

FIVE?? Already?!!? How can that be? Our oldest grandson turned 13 last month, I am still scratching my head over that one!! Ha. Thanks for the tour, your home is so very warm and welcoming; I love your "back to school" theme! :)

MissPat said...

I love the way you display your quilts. So much better than keeping them folded in a big pile on a shelf as often happens. And I love HHJJ, which I don't recall seeing before (likely because I wasn't following your blog in 2015). I made a baby quilt using Teresa's tutorial. She hasn't blogged in a very long time.
Pat

Oma said...

I have just been getting this blog again showing up and just love it! I quilted constantly when living in Indiana, but as the children grew and life changed, I slowly faded away from it. Now the arthritis has taken over and it is difficult to sew.....it makes your blog and photos even that more special for me! I love it! You have some amazing quilts, thank you for sharing!

Mystic Quilter said...

Lovely placemats for August, bold and bright before the grey Winter weather arrives. Doesn't seem like 5 years ago that grandson arrived on the scene - hope he had a happy, happy birthday, I agree they do grow up so very quickly!!

Ann said...

Thanks for sharing photos of how you use quilts in your house. They look lovely. I like the decorations and think you're smart to have a series of them. My, how your darling grandson has grown. What joy that you get to see him frequently.