Thursday, April 1, 2021

Dumpster Diving 9 - Blue Springs Road - the Quilt



Dumpster Diving 9 - Blue Springs Road is finished.

53" wide x 68" long



Started in mid-2019 when I impulsively bought
a fat quarter bundle of blue and white "Bequest" fabrics.

After multiple design considerations, 
I settled on SPRING by Valori Wells
using the fabrics from that bundle 
plus blues and yellows from my stash.

Once the long long long strips of segments were sewn
and laid out on the design wall, that plan changed again.

The top was completed in late July 2020.


Dumpster Diving 9 - Blue Springs Road 
was quilted with my liberated echo daisy fans
using Glide thread in Sky.

I used the last of the backing from Copacetic
to make the binding for DD 9.




As I continue my effort to FMQ and finish
my backlog of waiting tops,
I'm stitching out a sample of each design I use.

I started at the bottom with the original design
used on Copacetic at the left.

By the third motif, I modified the design
making it more fluid to stitch.



As I worked my way across the next to the last pass on DD 9,
I mistakenly stitched a second echo around the center hook.

Instead of taking it out, I used that variation to finish the quilt.

Then I stitched myself a small sample so I'd remember
that I like this version more than the single echo-ed center.

* * *

ADDED LATER in response to questions:

I think the rows appear to be so “straight” 
because I don’t stress over their exact linear placement. 

(hence the reason I begin the name 
for each of my FMQ designs
with the word "liberated")

Once I stitch the first row working left to right
along the lower edge of the quilt, 
 I cut my threads and return to the left 
to begin the second pass/row.  
The second row nests down into the first row 
and so on and so on as I work my way up the quilt.

By the time I get to the upper edge, 
one side of the last row or two 
is inevitably closer to the top  than the other - 
but the overall effect is still that the rows 
are moving horizontally across the quilt.

* * *

FMQ goals for April include

(waiting on fabric because I changed my mind
about the protective border and binding)


and





Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“I never get tired of the blue sky.”
Vincent Van Gogh/ Stephen King

15 comments:

cspoonquilt said...

Great finish! The motion of the strips across the quilt is very cool and I love your liberated quilting!

Sherrill said...

Oh my gosh! It's absolutely STUNNING!! And your quilting is beautiful!

Julierose said...

This is one of my very favorites of all your dumpster diving quilts--so pretty...
beautiful finish...
Happy spring and Happy Easter hugs, Julierose

Elaine Adair said...

How does such a simple appearing design end up absolutely gorgeous??? Must be talent of the maker. DD really is over-the-top beautiful!!

Shelina said...

This is gorgeous! I have been thinking about making a string quilt like this, long strings. I've cut some strips already. Your quilt gives me more confidence to make mine, although mine will be much more scrappy.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It looks like sunshine and blue sky. It is a happy quilt!

Dianne said...

Hi Julie...I follow your blog regularly and am always interested to see examples of your FMQ. I love your latest design which you showed here. I have a question.....you work from left to right in the row. When you get to the end of the row, do you just stop and return to the left side to begin the next row or do you work backwards (somehow!) every other row? Your work is beautiful!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on finishing Blue Springs Road, Julie! Ever a fan of blue and yellow quilts, I have loved this one in all of its iterations. Beautiful!!

MissPat said...

I went back and read the post about how you do the liberated fans and I understand that you don't do any marking, so my question is, how do you keep the fan/flower sections so evenly sized and spaced across the quilt? I love these liberated flower fan and I need to do some practice sandwiches (after doodling, of course) to see if I can master it.
Pat

JustGail said...

I like this quilt! When I squint just a bit, it looks sort of like ikat(?) fabric. The way the blue and yellow sort of swoop and zig zag across and a couple of diamond-ish shapes - visible, yet blurry.

Mari said...

This is so beautiful, Julie. I love blue and yellow together, and this one is absolutely stunning, even though it's very scrappy and really just simple strips. I'm always struck by how joyful your quilts are, and this is not exception. Congratulations on the finish, and happy Easter to you!

Lynette said...

Oh! I do really love your liberated daisies FMQ design! I would like to try that out some time. And the quilt turned out so nice. :)

Annie said...

This quilt looks awesome all finished up. You are quick with the quilting and binding! As I’ve said on a previous post, I love the colors and the design. Your quilting looks fantastic and this quilt is so inviting to cuddle up under with a good book.

Mystic Quilter said...

Placing blocks/settings on our design walls can frequently lead to a change of direction can't it! We then follow our instinct. Your backing is glorious Julie and love the quilting design!

Ann said...

Your quilt made me think of Chihuly's work. Those glorious blues and yellows! Congrats.
Unless my quilt is really large I quilt my own, too. And I work the fans the same way you do. It does make it easier to fit them in, doesn't it? Thanks for your advice.