You might be wondering why this photo
of Shari Lewis and Lamb Chop is here today.
They popularized a song -
one that our boys learned in Scouts
and still sing fragments of today.
Maybe you know this one?
"This is the song that never ends.
It just goes on and on, my friend.
Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was.
And, they'll continue singing it forever, just because
This is the song that never ends..."
(you can hear the melody by clicking HERE
if you don't already know it)
The words of that song pretty much sum up the way
the current AHIQ challenge has affected me.
It would have been so simple to follow
Ann's how-to posts and make a quilt like hers -
but "oh, noooooooo."
I wanted to make one of my own design.
Three months later and the words
of that song keep running through my head.
I know full well that I'm trying too hard
and have fallen far into the dreaded comparison trap.
I NEED to stop pondering, DO something,
and quit worrying whether or not
my SOMEthing is the PERFECT thing.
I'm sure many of you have been in this same spot . . .
So THIS is what I am doing . . .
I'm narrowing up the bias-cut stem strips
because they were just too clunky-looking.
There are twenty tulip blossoms so I've chosen
twenty different greens for the leaf pairs.
I've added one of Marilee's numbered pins
to the center of each tulip so that
when I take the blocks down to machine appliqué
the current layout won't be lost.
Amazing what happens when you quit
trying to make a masterpiece and just MAKE.
(to see previous posts for this project,
use the FORTY-SIX label below)
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Color can raise the dead.”
Iris Apfel




11 comments:
quit trying to make a masterpiece and just make... I can relate. It starts with the excitement of what if, then you kind of see it in your mind and want it to look like that but then it doesn't and you get stuck... I think that's why I am having a resurgence in block quilts, because I can just make them them
I'm glad to decide to blaze your own trail with this one, Julie. I like your colors, the layout, and the fact that you incorporated strings into the tulips themselves to allow for a calmer backdrop for the resulting quilt. Looking forward to a finish!!
I had never heard that song but I have been in that place........that place you are in. Looking forward to your completion however it ends up.
We used to drive our mother crazy with that song. Now you’ve go it going through my head. I love your tulips - the colors and the way they seem to wave in the breeze.
Ah, Shari Lewis!.....you have to plant the tulips before you can tiptoe through them. It will feel so good to have that done.
I really like what you’re doing! Your tulips looks great and the variety of backgrounds is stunning. Keep going because you’re certainly going in the right direction.
Comparison is the thief of joy! Doing your own thing leads to awesome quilts, so you should keep on blazing ahead with your own ideas. Your tulips look great so far, and I love the background colors and the string bits. It will turn out!
I hadn't heard that song for years! Isn't it funny how what could have been a straightforward challenge has caused us so many headaches? I like your current plan, so I hope you continue in this frame of mind.
Yes to quitting trying to make the masterpiece and just make!! It's so annoying when we get to overthinking things and find ourselves paralyzed. Your version is so cool. LOVE it!!
Don't know the song Julie but know just where you're coming from! I like you present layout for your tulips.
Your tulips are a masterpiece. Sometimes when you let your quilt decide what it wants to be, you wind up creating a masterpiece.
Post a Comment