Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Bits and Pieces



I buckled down and made all of the ties
for 11 more lined drawstring bags.

(ties get done first because they are the most time consuming)

Six of the eleven are in greens from RSC March
and five are in blues for RSC April.

The main bag sections are sewn together
 ready for pressing the next time I turn on the iron.




I spent two evenings stitching up 
forty five more blocks for Hoppipolla.

(blocks will finish at 3")

RSC colors this month are light and bright blues.

So far I've made 113 blocks of the 320 needed.

The whole goal of this project is to use up 
some of the bits and pieces left behind
after the Dumpster Diving quilts . . . 
ten more color groups with twenty blocks each 
should give me plenty to work with for a scrappy layout.

(see links to both series later in this post)




On a whim, I signed up for 
with Sarah Bond (@slbphilly on Instagram)
during the late April Mancuso Online Quiltfest.

The supply list called for a jelly roll and two different backgrounds.

Shopping my stash, I chose the two backgrounds (left) and I
cut a "Julie roll" from my stash of Kaffe Collective yardage.

I'll use Kaffe's Banana Tree yardage to back this one
whenever this project reaches that stage.

I've named this quilt-to-be SASHAY which means
"a journey taken for pleasure."

(I'm hoping the name is prophetic
since the quilt involved strip pieced diamonds
similar to those in a Lone Star quilt)




After weeks of mental wrangling, 
I've also made another decision.

I had planned to make twelve Dumpster Diving quilts
with the final one using reds with brights on blacks.

But I have not been able to bring myself to chop 
these long strips and smaller pieces of yardage into
into short little segments only to spend weeks 
pairing/sewing/pairing/sewing over and over.

I still love the process but
I'm tired of the huge amount of prep work.

So . . . I'm going to formally end 
the DD series with DD 11 - Mischief Maker.

This means I'll repurpose the boxes 
of reds/brights on on blacks 
into a scrappy quilt that will be 




Finally, with the Easter decor packed away 
this is our mantel's look until late June.

(those are white fairy lights tucked along
the mantel's back edge - so pretty after dark)

Our elder son's/DIL's 15th anniversary,
our eldest nephew's/wife's 15th anniversary,
my sister's/BIL's 40th anniversary,
our 46th wedding anniversary,
Mother's Day and Father's Day, 
plus a 40th and a 69th birthday 
will happen between now and then.

Lots of chances to use my stash of
colorful lined drawstring gift bags
as we celebrate those family milestones.





Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“I was very against pink and purple when I was young, because they were girls’ colors.  But that was only because I didn’t want people to write me off for what I can do.  When I got into my 20s, I decided that was stupid.”
Danica Patrick (NASCAR driver)

6 comments:

Katie said...

Lots of beautiful photos and quilt inspiration here, but I can't get "Julie Roll" out of my head. Such a great idea! And while I have made so-called jelly roll patterns from my stash, I never thought of it like I was making my own strip set. I'm gonna have to tuck that away for sharing if my quilt guild ever meets again!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Well, you had me laughing at Julie roll. Piecing diamonds, wow, that is quite an endeavor with bias. Glad you can switch gears with the DD and move on to something else you want to do more. Love your mantle setup.

The Joyful Quilter said...

That class looks like fun and your "Julie" roll should work perfectly. LOVE that mantel carving that DH made!! (Let me know if he ever starts selling them.) Happy all the occasions! :o))

Shelina said...

Great fabrics on your handmade jelly roll. I have a hard time making series quilts because I like to have variety, so I can understand why you had to abandon your plan.

QuiltGranma said...

"Julie roll" love it. Once my broken wrist heals I hope to make a bunch of Jean Rolls!

Mystic Quilter said...

Don't those draws for the bags look amazing all hanging there together and your collection of yummy blues is glorious. So, it's bye bye to your DD series, you've made a collection of fantastic quilts in this series.