I made a "sharp left turn" in my last post
when I shared that I am NOT going to make
the twelfth Dumpster Diving quilt.
I also shared that the boxes of reds and brights on blacks
would be repurposed into a different scrappy quilt -
one that didn't require so many hours of prep work.
Well . . . guess what?
THIS is what those strips are going to become.
I made a Lava Lamps quilt named Milestone
in 2010 but later sold it to a co-worker.
Since then I've always wanted to make
another non-KF version for myself.
That time has finally arrived.
I cut paper shapes slightly larger than the outline of my templates
and set to work piecing a few test blocks.
I want to piece each block one strip at a time
so I can use wider pieces at the top and the bottom
instead of making yards of random strata
and cutting the block shapes from that.
I really don't enjoy paper piecing so I'm using my own method
that incorporates Marit's "flip the base out of the way" technique
much like I did when I made Feisty last year.
Except this time I am taping the first strip of fabric
to the base shape so there will be no paper to "rip" away.
Here are two test blocks for the partial end blocks.
If you look closely you can see my template
laying on top of the red strata.
(DH made them for me when I made that 2010 quilt)
Here is one of the red strata with the full block template on top.
OH, MY!
YES! YES! YES!
This one is not likely to go back into the "pending" closet.
I am going "off script" in order to make
44 brights on black and 44 red blocks
PLUS
however many of each color I'll need
to make for the partial end blocks
since they are not "one orientation fits all."
* * *
I hinted at the project's name at the top of the post.
Introducing . . . DRAMA QUEEN.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Red protects itself. No other colour is as territorial. It stakes a claim, is on the alert against the spectrum." (Derek Jarman)
AND
“Women who wear black lead colorful lives.” (Neiman Marcus)






25 comments:
Looking forward to all the fun this one is gong to bring. Love your quotes today. Have fun
I use that partial piecing on papers for my Ojos--[I just attach the first two pieces together and then measure the next and fold the paper back when I sew the seam--]works just fine...
I think this Lava will be beautiful and rich looking...
Love strip and string type work...hugs for a super weekend, Julierose
That looks like a fun quilt. Another one to add to my list. Your color choices are wonderful,.
I like the clear templates, let you see if it is straight when cutting out
Oh yes, yes, yes! So happy you came to your senses and made #12! I love the Drama Queen!
I'm glad to see those red and black bits will be turning into something SEW fun, Julie!!
This is definitely a yes, yes, YES! Stunning! I loved working with Marit's method when making my spiderweb quilt last year. I really miss her blog posts and beautiful quilts.
Well, that was a punch in the gut of creativity -- the stratified version is so much more interesting than the big-piece lava lamps. It's gonna be terrific!
Drama Queen is going to be so *dramatic* !! Love these color together and wow!! I like where it is going!!!
It's going to be a beautiful quilt.
Nice beginning! I love the colorful blacks. I'm always surprised by how great the black prints look because "black fabric" sounds like it will be really dull. The red is a very zingy contrast. Love the templates and the string method!
WOW!
I love it! I love it! I love it!
I'm glad you are following your heart and not a to do list. We all need the excitement of a project we can't wait to work on.
Drama Queen is a winner! I love love what is appearing and can't wait to see you work your magic.
Delightful! Glad you decided to use your pulled red and black fabrics anyway.
I literally gasped when I saw this! And then went all googly eyed and squee-ful!
Wow! This really will be a dramatic quilt. Good for you for following your heart not your list.
Hooray for going off script and going into some tumblers that delight!
When I showed off my new cast (broke radius next to thumb) and they saw it was BLACK they complained, No Pink? (I do NOT wear pink!) No one can write on it? Who can I safely see right now to write on a cast? My basic black goes with everything, and I love red as an accent color!
Absolutely stunning Julie! Definitely a Drama Queen in the making, and dyour pattern photo of the Lava Lamps take me way back in time!
Your Drama Queen will look like she is at a disco with all the bright lights. I love it, gonna be great.
I love red and I love black so I know I'm going to love Drama Queen!
I’m in love. So beautiful, so bright, so on fire, oh my.
Loving the look of this one..
Post a Comment