Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Blue Springs Road - Change of Plans




Once the ver-r-r-r-r-r-r-ry long strip had been cut
into forty-five 70-ish inch length strips 
(with a whole lot of the long strip left over)
I randomly pinned the lengths on the design wall.

Hmmmm . . . . not so sure about this.




The inspiration design seemed like such a good idea
but when translated into dumpster diving mode,
the blue-on-white (instead of the original's solid white)
just didn't do anything for me.




These two fabrics were the original backing plan.



Feeling totally underwhelmed,
I wondered what would happen if I used some of the
long leftover strip to cut more 70-ish inch lengths
to fill in where the blue-on-white had been?



Oh, yes - this is much better.




And instead of the blues-on-white backing options
I am going to use this wonderful blue yardage.

Nothing like having the quilt tell you what it wants to become!


* * *

And then there are the yards and yards
 of no-longer-needed-blue-on-white strips.

I thought briefly about sewing them together 
into made-fabric and die cutting  
for another as-yet-unknown project.

But that didn't excite me much.

I also thought about packing the many strips 
into a USPS Priority Mail envelope 
and sending them to a new home .

Anyone excited by that possibility?

NOTE ADDED LATER:

I drew names out of a hat from those
who responded today and
the blue and white strips are going to . . . 
Linda Swanekamp.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring; all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”

Leo Buscaglia

25 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

I’d love a chance to play with your scrappy bits!

Rebecca said...

Ohhhh....blue on white!!!! So many possibilities. Please put me into the drawing.
Love the new backing fabric.

Cherie in St Louis said...

Would absolutely love them but DO NOT PUT ME IN THE DRAWING says her saner self, bahhahahahahaha!

Joan H. said...

I thought the blue and white strips looked like a waterfall going through the blue and yellow strips. Hmmmmm.

Julierose said...

Oh yes, those blue/white strips are lovely...I would love a chance to work with them...~ ~ ~ waving in the sunshine today~~ ~ Julierose

Sally said...

Oh how fun would that be, to have an inspiration project to play with. I'm thinking of pulling indigo scraps already!

stitchinpenny said...

I have said yes to so many of those possibilities that I am making quilting samples and giving them away. Really works well except that batting, thread and backing add up. Postage is killing me. Lots of happy friends and relatives though.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I adore blue and white. If you are having a drawing, count me in. The new quilt looks like a real close up of Ikat fabric. Like you know it is a part of something bigger. The colors are gorgeous. Glad you you recognize and switch up before you sewed the whole darn thing.

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Good call to swap out the blue and white strips for more of the darker blue and yellow. Looks great!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think the blue with white would make a wonderful summer quilt all by themselves. Don't count me in the drawing....because I dont't need any more fabric

I love your blue and yellow just by themselves. I have a blue and yellow quilt in the design mode. I think it sounds like a good July quilt, hot sun, blue skies.

Sew Happy said...

I see I am not the first in line for your cast off. Maybe I am in the right spot to get them to make a charity quilt.
Happy Creating.

Janis said...

I thought the blue and white strips worked nicely in your original layout. Looked like waterfalls on a bright cliff edge. But your second layout looks fine too. Love blue and yellow together.

Janie said...

I like your change! And what a good quote, I know that to be true.
A kind word can turn somebody's life around.

audrey said...

Your blue yardage is wonderful. So zingy! Love your idea to pack your strips off to someone more excited about them. Tempting as it is, don't add me into your drawing though as I already have oodles of projects on the go.:) Always fun when a project starts getting bossy about what it needs!

Barb said...

lucky linda!
I like the blue and yellow. Looks great!

Magpie Sue said...

Hmm... I don't seem to be getting your posts since you started using the new computer (and/or the new version of Blogger). I wonder who else I'm missing out on? Do I need to resubmit my email address you think?

The Joyful Quilter said...

Looking forward to seeing this revision come together, Julie. And that yardage for the backing?! I've never seen the likes of it in any quilt shop near me. LOVE it!!!

Pip said...

Yay, I missed out on the drawing :) I don't need any more fabric. I love where you are going with the blue and yellow strips, I think once the long strips are pieced together it will look fabulous, there will be some lovely movement in it, reminds me of an improv bargello.

Ellie said...

Not sorry I misses the drawing! 😃 What could go wrong with blue and yellow! My favorite combination and I love scrappy! Perfect backing!

LA Paylor said...

wow, I liked the first picture, with the odd lighter insert. It reminded me of glass walls that distort for privacy. I loved leo buscaglia's books back in the 70s Thanks for reminding me of his words.
I worked with teens,and remember one phrase like, don't try to get to the bottom of the kid's argument, there IS no bottom
LeeAnna

Carol Andrews said...

Good call listening to the Quilt! The blue and yellow is perfect on its own I think. Scraps are too much fun to play with! The fun never ends with quilting. šŸ˜‰ carol

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Giving your quilts a voice of their own is a very smart strategy; you made the right decision. NO SCRAPS FOR ME (but thank you for the offer), yours are lovely but I am drowning in my own! ;)

Mystic Quilter said...

This has worked out wonderfully Julie, such a fresh feel with the blues and yellows.

QuiltGranma said...

but... I really liked it with the waterfall of the pale blue and white falling through the middle part of the quilt. oh well, your quilt, so it was talking to you.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh I like it much better without the white strips as well.. and that new backing you chose - Beautiful!!! Have fun!!