Monday, June 29, 2020

Dumpster Diving 9 - Blue Springs Road Begins



There were so many different things
I really should have worked on over the weekend,
but this project  has been calling to me.

So it became my late week/weekend focus.




One pair at a time the blue on white segments
were sewn together again and again.

This group of ten 70-ish inch strips 
will be rearranged to eliminate most of the situations 
where the same fabric ends up next to itself. 




This is the second "white" column 
comprised of an additional four lengths.

(my design was inspired by "Spring" - a free
Valori Wells/Robert Kaufman download found HERE)




Then I started on the blue and yellow segments.

I first sewed pairs of segments.

Those pairs were paired with other pairs and sewn together.

This is what the top of the large boxful looked like.




And this is the side view of that same box.




Before sewing the shorter multi-segment strips together,
 I just HAD to pull out a few put them on the design wall.




Finally all those short multi-segment lengths were 
sewn together into one ver-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-ry long strip.

Next step will be to cut 
the uber-long strip into 70-ish inch lengths.

The quilt top's planned dimensions
 are 50-ish x 64-ish inches.

No matter how careful I am, the long narrow strips
twist and bow during the sew-together stage
and again during the quilting process.

So I've learned the hard way to make the top wider and longer
so there's plenty of room to square things up later.

* * *

I started the set up of the new computer Saturday afternoon.

It is working but there are a lot of elements
that still need to be dealt with 
like connecting to the printer,
updating files, moving documents, and more.

The good news though
is that the new computer
is faster by a lot AND
it loves the new Blogger.

That makes me a happy camper.




Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
The Listening Song
(sung to the tune of Frere Jacques)

Eyes are watching.
Ears are listening.
Lips are closed.
Hands are still.
Feet are very quiet.
You should really try it.
Listening well.
Listening well.

From Ms. Cathy - 
our grandson’s Pre-K 3 reading teacher


13 comments:

Pip said...

This is looking good, blue and white is my favourite colour combination. I wish I hadn't cut all my scraps up, but I'm sure it won't be long before I have more scraps, I will keep this pattern in mind.

Julierose said...

the blue and white pairings are just lovely; nice work in progress Hugs Julierose

The Joyful Quilter said...

Great news about the new computer-new Blogger compatibility, Julie! Regarding the quilt, I've always liked Valori's Spring quilt. I think your blue and yellow version is going to be gorgeous!

Linda Swanekamp said...

I just love the blue and whites. Makes me think of the Blue Willow China sets. Just want to have coffee and cookies with my grandma. I can't imagine how sewing those long strips go.

Janie said...

Good progress and I'm glad to hear you're getting settled with your new computer, that's always a relief.

Quiltdivajulie said...

testing to see if I can now leave a comment on my own blog.

LA Paylor said...

beeee utiful
I need a new computer... maybe that should be my impetus

Ann said...

Lovely fabrics for your new quilt and congrats on getting your new computer set up. Such a chore but you will be delighted when it's done. Your grandson's teacher is very clever.

Barb said...

what a perfect color scheme for a summer project.
Delicious! have fun

Cherie in St Louis said...

What a great song for teaching listening!!!

Sujata Shah said...

I am loving those blue and white fabrics Julie! I can't imagine setting up the computer by myself! I am spending less and less time on the computer. Sometimes it seems like I have forgotten how to use one. Time to relearn!

Mystic Quilter said...

That's definitely a very long strip!! Loving the colours Julie and the size you're aiming for, not too huge. Congratulations on first steps setting up the new computer, hope it all works perfectly for you.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

ohh This is going to be great!