Monday, November 2, 2020

Frabjous - The Quilt



Let the finishing marathon begin . . . 

This is Frabjous.

 (pin basted since last May)

Frabjous is a word coined 1872 by Lewis Carol 
in Through the Looking Glass; 
perhaps meant to suggest fabulous or joyous 
(from Dictionary.com online)




After a lengthy conversation last week with DH
about a lot of different topics,
the door to my sewing studio has been reinstalled
and I've made a series of door hangers
to alert the family as to WHY my door is closed.

I had forgotten about the impact of being able to
close a door and be in a room without interruptions.




This is the quilted texture on the center portion of Frabjous.

I'm calling this my liberated orange peels and hourglasses design.

It is actually a mash up of ideas from books by
Christina Cameli and Kathleen Riggins
that involves combining designs to create new ones.




Frabjous measures 63" x 63"
which is perfect for its intended purpose
as our Kitchen Table Quilt for the month of May.

Next spring I'll do its proper backyard photo shoot.

* * *

One to-be-quilted project done.  


The next three on to-be-quilted list
are the Christmas quilts.

Jingle Bells and Sleigh Ride are ready to pin baste.

Yuletide's blocks are clipped and ready to web into a top
for pin basting to a scrappy back that is ready and waiting.

Between now and the end of 2020 
I will also work on piecing the blocks/tops 
for Merry and Bright (a kitchen table quilt)
and Deck the Halls (snowballs and nine patches).

They can then go to the end of the line
for quilting next year.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“I'm glad I understand that while language is a gift, 
listening is a responsibility.”
Nikki Giovanni

15 comments:

Pamela Arbour said...

That really turned out nice. I like the quilting. Perfect! Sounds like you are on a roll.

Julierose said...

Frabjous is just that--so pretty--great quilting too.
You have 29 more to go? I bow before your "Quiltedness" for sure...
;)))
Hugs, Julierose

Annie said...

It doesn’t get much better than being the CEO of the quilting studio...HOLD MY CALLS! There’s a fun quilt name, Frabjous! And a beauty of a quilt too. It will be such a joy to see on your table in May. I love your project of monthly table quilts. I think I’m going to need some of those rather than just small runners and center mats.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I have no door on my sewing studio or longarm area in the basement. The sewing studio used to be my living room. Perhaps I need a cloak of invisibility to not get interruptions. The quilt looks scrumptious- the colors and the quilting. Thanks for sharing!

The Joyful Quilter said...

What lovely texture your quilting provided for that sweet finish!! Best of luck with quilting and piecing the 2020 Holiday quilt collection, Julie. Be sure to post updates!

LA Paylor said...

love your quilting design. Do you do all the diagonal lines first, then circles or do the circles one arc at a time down the quilt? Is one way simpler, or shaped better?

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Very cute, and I love the name! Your continuous curve and cross hatch quilting is perfect for it - nice design choice!

Mari said...

Pretty! I love the quilting. Combining patterns really worked. Remember to take some breaks between quilting those other 29 tops!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Congratulations getting back into the finishing mode. Alone time is very precious. Maybe extroverts don't agree but introverts do. I also love silence whereas many people must have music or TV background talking all the time. Now if I could just have alone time, silence and no clutter life might be almost perfect.

Janie said...

Fabjous is a happy word perfect fit for your finish. The quilting design goes right along with it.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

This is most definitely "fabulous" AND "joyous"! Your quilting looks great, you're right-- uninterrupted work time is vital to improved technique.

Ann said...

The orange peel design works beautifully on your charming quilt. Well named. And thanks for the listening quote. So timely. Your door tags a very useful. I may need some, too.

QuiltGranma said...

Love your quilt, looks like 1930's reprints?

Lynette said...

Wow! I really like the effect of mixing the diagonals with the orange peels - very cool alternating look.

Mystic Quilter said...

Frabjous is fabulous! Love the KF Collective border fabric, it fits so well with all the colour in the quilt.Now your doo hangers are such a good idea, I had my door taken off a few years ago but when DH began to use the adjoining room as office/painting room I had him fix the door back on - quickly!!!!