I've finished that complete inventory of my
"waiting to be quilted" closet . . .
Here are the results:
London Fields has been waiting since September 2018.
Shift Happens, a kitchen table quilt,
has been waiting nearly that long.
Someday is Now since January 2019.

Sea of HSTs since July 2019.
Winsome since July 2019.
Inspi(RED) since October 2019.
Optic Strings since September 2019.
Dumpster Diving 7-Respite since December 2019.
For the Birds since December 2019.
Zephyr since January 2020.
Geode (a gifted top) since January 2020.
Circumspect since March 2020.
And then COVID stay at home started . . .
Fauve was put in the closet in April.
Frabjous, another kitchen table quilt, in May.
Plenty of Plaids in May
Fourth of July in June
Fruit Smoothie, another kitchen table quilt, in June.
Dumpster Diving 8-Bella in July.
Dumpster Diving 9-Blue Springs Road in July.
Haimish in July.
Feisty in August.
Heliophilia in August.
Sleigh Ride in August.
Sukoon in September.
Otsego Revisited in September.
Jingle Bells in September.
That makes a total of 26 quilt tops/backs
in need of liberated free motion quilting.
* * *
Frabjous is already pin-basted
so it moves to the head of the line.
Fourth of July has been rolled
and is ready for pin basting
so it moves into the number two spot.
Once those are finished
I could work my way through
this list from oldest to newest.
Or I could draw names from a hat.
Time will tell . . .
(you can read more about each of these quilts
by using their Label links in the sidebar)
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“If you spend more time asking appropriate questions rather than giving answers or opinions, your listening skills will increase.”
Brian Koslow




























24 comments:
Where do I go after OH MY!!! I know that I could piece quilt tops to the end of time. I also know they would never become quilts that way. Which is why I have to sew them start to finish. I have been known to have two working at the same time. But that has to be it! I am in awe that you have confidence that all these gorgeous quilt tops will become full fledged quilts. I am wondering though, what makes a quilt top specifically a “kitchen table quilt”? I’ll have to google that. Your to-be quilts are awesome and inspiring.
I think that is pretty impressive. None of your quilt tops in waiting are old so I'd say you did a good job. I guess you will just have to quilt more! LOL I only have three in waiting but I have a ton of fabric, scraps, and UFOs!
WOW--that is some list of "In the Wings" tops to be quilted. They are all so lovely...taking them one at a time is definitely the best option...[If I had to think of all of them, it would paralyze me personally...] Lots of quilting in your future for sure.
hugs and good luck Julierose
what fun you are going to have!! Just remember to pace yourself, Julie. We don't want anymore quilting injuries from overdoing it!
What a fabulous collection of quilt tops. I'd keep taking them out to admire them. Such gorgeous colour combinations. But where to start? For me it would be like choosing a favourite child LOL.
Julie, I have at least that many quilt tops in my closet as well! I definitely like piecing quilts more than quilting. You’ve inspired me to whittle down my own list and get those tops quilted! Thanks for sharing.
That's the most inspirational closet I ever saw!
Your collection made ME feel better - I only have 10 in my closet. Maybe you should feature one and ask for quilting ideas, if that is what is holding you back. Those who provide the ideas you use will receive a few fat quarters or set of colorful scraps. I may do something like that. Sandy at sewhigh.blogspot.com
Wow, I've been following you for 2 years; I remember all these quilts! Good luck with finishing them. We're still doing Covid; you still have time!
I could "see you and raise you" when it comes to the "quits-to-be-quilted" queue. It's okay... I've had something else bound to the forefront and is currently on the rails, it's all good. Take a deep breath and schedule a series of serious dates with Max ;)
Just give up your sleep? haha!! those are all such fabulous tops - I am sure that when they get their chance to be quilted they will be amazing!
I feel your pain. I haven't counted how many I have that are waiting to be quilted. Not as many as you have though!
I don't know how you do it! The second I get a top done I have to quilt it! I don't think I've ever waited more than a month.
Don't get me wrong. I have UFOs. I work on more than 1 quilt at a time. It's just, I have to get it finished once it's a flimsy!
Happy quilting marathon :-)
I remain so impressed with your productivity. I know that beside all these wonderful tops waiting to be quilted, there's a big bunch in process (some maybe in time out) and many fabric pulls for the ideas bouncing around in your head. It's so interesting how we all have different attitudes on our process of getting to the finish. I'm trying to remember that it's better to enjoy the ride than worry about the ETA.
Pat
They are hung so beautifully in the closet. Their bindings look like ties hanging around a shirt. I have a few quilt tops waiting in the wings, not too many, though. It is hard for me to get to the quilting part because I'm not too fond of basting a larger size quilt. You've given me some inspiration to get mine out and do it. I believe I truly will this winter.
Love the broken dishes top. Had to search your blog to see the whole thing. Love!!
This is tremendously comforting. I am not alone in having way too many! They are all lovely, and I'm sure you have a plan for all of them, but can I gently suggest donating those tops that are bringing guilt instead of joy? It's very freeing, and gives you more time to work on the ones you love. It's nice to see all these goodies again! *Love* the heavy-duty hangers, too.
You may have a lot of tops there but none are as old as mine. I have some 10 years old still waiting, and if I really researched probably one or more older than that. I think you have done a pretty good job keeping caught up. Enjoy each one as you finish them.
I think it's motivating to make an inventory. Now, you know where you stand and can move forward. I checked my list and I have 19 quilt tops waiting for some attention. The oldest one is 10 years old but most of them are under 2-3 years. It's all good. Having a closet full of quilt tops means a healthy quilter lives here. There sure are some pretty quilts hanging up in your home.
Oh dear! They do add up in what seems like a hurry, don't they? You've certainly got your work cut out for you but you have a great attitude. You can only do one quilt at a time afterall. ;-)
WELL IF IT WAS ME... I would start with InspiRED, then move on to Optic Strings, and then Heliophilia and then maybe Geode (heh) and then Sukoon. OR.. I would just reach into the closet with my eyes closed and grab one. Of course, knowing you they are arranged chronologically, so I guess I would mix them up first. Seriously, just grab one and go.
Like everybody else, I am amazed by your organized productivity.
I don't know about you, but I am exhausted just thinking about quilting all those beauties! Don't worry, we can only do one thing at a time. They are all sensational!
We always get such a shot of adrenalin when we're getting a new project underway--coordinating the idea in our heads with the fabric on our shelves and then cutting, sewing, arranging, and rearranging. That energy dissipates when the final seam is sewn....I begin to get itchy/nervous/guilty when I have more than a dozen flimsies in the box. I rather doubt you'll tackle yours chronologically. The next one will holler at you. (BTW, do you have the backings chosen for all of these, or do you wait until you're ready to quilt them?)
What a glorious sight - all these quilts for us to enjoy!! Seal of HSTs is still just as exciting as the first time I saw you working with these colours, it's wonderful!!
Post a Comment