Monday, September 14, 2020

Jingle Bells - the Flimsy



The third set of blocks 
waiting to be webbed into a top 
has become a flimsy.

Jingle Bells used up many bits
of holiday crumb piecing,
leftover strips, and assorted fabrics. 

The 6" HSTs were randomly pieced
and it took a little fiddling with them
to come up with a layout that made sense
of all that randomness.




I wasn't planning to add borders
but Jingle Bells needed them.

Thankfully there was just enough
of the red snowflake print to eek them out.

My goal behind the four Christmas quilts
(three of which are now quilt tops/backs)
was to use up the over abundance of
it-was-on-sale holiday fabric in the stash.




The top measures 56" wide x 68" long.

Next up will be piecing a back using
more of that accumulated Christmas fabric.

* * *

Now that these three tops are webbed,
it's time to set three new short term goals:

Inventory the waiting-to-be-quilted closet
(work is underway - blog post pending)

Stitch a little each day on my Siddi quilt.
(started during a Zoom class with Sujata Shah -
blog post pending)

Start making my red and brown
Dumpster Diving 11-Mischief Maker blocks 
for September's Rainbow Scrap Challenge.
(blog post pending)


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“When someone is truly listening, you feel it; 
when someone pretends to listen, you know.”
Thich Nhat Hahn

12 comments:

Pamela Arbour said...

That turned out nice. I like your alternating fabric and your borders. You are right. I think it needed borders after seeing it all together.

Julierose said...

Perfect way to use up those Holiday bits and pieces...nice flimsy...
hugs, julierose

The Joyful Quilter said...

Brilliant, Julie!! I never would have had the courage to chop up Orphan Blocks to include in an HST quilt. It SEW totally works!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Jingle bells is fantastic!! and perfect timing!! LOVE all the happy prints in this one and the border is awesome!

sue s said...

I really like Jingle Bells and may have to use your idea! I have such a jumble of fabrics and this would spread them out nicely.

Janie said...

Jingle Bells is full of fun prints almost like an I Spy quilt. Progress!

Magpie Sue said...

Oh yes, that frame and border really set off the blocks. Wonderful!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love the frame and border. Can't wait to see the other posts.

cityquilter grace said...

simple pattern but made stunning by fabrics...

Mystic Quilter said...

Just been reading your last three posts and commenting on all here. Jingle Bells definitely looks good with the border so you're all set for Christmas now. Seen your Siddi quilt on Instagram - love it and wish the time difference wasn't so huge between countries as it is pretty impossible for me to be up in the middle of the night!
Otsego Revisited - I can definitely see Sweet Peas here, I have a sire frame in the garden with the flowers growing and your quilt is a wonderful rendition.
Sukoon - gorgeous!!! The owl fabric - perfect!

Raewyn said...

Oh I love it!! Delightfully scrappy but pulled together really nicely by your layout. The border is a great finisher.

Ann said...

Ho, ho, ho. Great to finish a Christmas quilt early... or any Christmas decoration or gift. Hooray.