The second of my three tops to be webbed is done.
This is Otsego Revisited.
48" x 60"
Otsego is a small town in Michigan
where my mother attended high school.
My favorite grandpa lived there when I was young
and his back yard was bordered with
the most fragrant sweet peas I've ever smelled.
When I saw Robin Picken's Sweet Pea and Lily line
at a local quilt shop, that layer cake
simply HAD to come home with me.
Scrappy greens from my stash
plus strips cut from that layer cake
were combined with other fabrics from the stash
resulting in this saturated scrappy goodness.
And it looks just as good when rotated 180 degrees.
I'm not sure which way I like it best.
Backing and binding strips . . .
I'm so glad I gave these fabrics a second chance
after giving up on the first blocks I made.
Now Otsego Revisited is off to the
'waiting to be quilted closet.'
(more on that closet next week)
* * *
There's one last set of clipped blocks
to be webbed into a quilt top (Jingle Bells).
But then, instead of diving into Hello July's
scrappy red, blue, and cream tumblers as planned
I'm going to do something that was totally unplanned.
(spontaneity is seriously missing from our lives these days)
Bonnie Hunter has been sharing sneak peeks
of a design she's calling Appalachian Autumn.
I'm going to use these long stashed fabrics
to create my own version.
I'm naming my impromptu project Resplendent
which means
"brightly colored in an impressive way"
Time will tell if my results are impressive or not
but this quilt top will definitely be brightly colored.
* * *
And I finally figured out
why I was so unhappy with Sukoon.
It wasn't the quilt top at all.
It was the top paired with
that hot pink elephant print.
When I put it alongside this Art Gallery owl fabric
I realized I just needed to change the backing.
Dilemma resolved.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Listen to your heart. It knows everything.”
Paul Coehlo






13 comments:
Oh - these colors! The greens are so vibrant. Such a happy quilt!
Otsego is lovely--what a nice tribute to your Dad's hometown...
glad you like Sukoon now--nothing fun about finishing a piece and then not liking it (ask me how I know!!).
Nice revisiting...
Hugs, Julierose
You've created another pretty quilt top in Sweet Peas. Thanks for sharing Bonnie's Appalachian Autumn link, as I didn't see her post yesterday. LOVE the unexpected backing change for Sukoon!! That looks like a great option for it.
I could spend all day wandering back through your earlier posts when you include links to explain how certain quilts have developed. Otsego Revisited has intrigued me for several reason, one the colors and two the name. There is a lake in central NY called Otsego Lake and the city of Cooperstown, home of the Baseball Hall of Fame is located at it's southern end. I find it very interesting to see how place name repeatedly pop up as you move across the country. Of course, I should be spending more time creating and less time reading, but it sure is fun.
Pat
This one is so pretty - and the memories that it invokes - so so sweet!
You have made another "WOW" quilt. Love the greens next to purples. Btw, Otsego is also a county in Michigan where I live. It's right up I-75, less than 50 miles to the Mackinac Bridge!!!
I think you showed the elephant fabric and I thought it was perfect! I am sure this new one will be just as beautiful!
Glad you're happier with Sukoon now. :-) I love that owl print!
It's exactly as I remember the colors from my grandparents back yard flower bed!
-Jean❤️
Otsego (which spell check thinks should be It’s ego 😂) is saturated with beautiful color. I like the solid green triangles on the right...just because that’s different than usual. So exciting to see it rescued from the “out of here” pile. I do love the owls for backing Sukoon....hi fives on that change.
Oh, it's so pretty! I love pink and green together and the purple adds a nice bit of zing. This quilt looks happy and springy, just what we all need right now. And that's a nice fix for Sukoon, too. How happy that it was so easy! Have a good weekend!
It's funny the things you remember from childhood. My grandmother grew sweet peas in her yard. I remember the scent as if is was yesterday....which it most decidedly isn't.
Some quilts just look better with the perfect backing. No rhyme or reason to why or when it becomes important, but still, it does happen. Your strippy hsts are perfect for these fabrics. All the colors are very rich looking and the lighter pinks just shine!
Post a Comment