Monday, September 21, 2020

About Those Christmas Quilts



In my continuing quest to use up
the remaining Christmas fabrics,
I've decided to make what should be the last one.

Here you can see the cut up red scraps 
with the neutrals . . . 




And here you can see the cut up greens
along with a lot of neutral squares.

(and yes I did piece undersized bits together
in order to cut enough full-size squares)




Last year I made one of these Snowflake quilts
named EIRA (Welsh for "snow") - 
I gifted the top and back to Margaret in MO
who quilted/finished and loves it.

I'm going to make another version this year
using the pieces and parts shown above.
 
Time will tell if my radiating layout plan works.

If it doesn't, I'll use the greens and reds
to create a different kind of scrappy background.

* * *

It turns out that there will be a total of EIGHT quilts
made from that much-too-large stash of Christmas fabrics.

Three of them are finished:




Two more are quilt tops waiting to be quilted:



And the final three are cut out and ready to piece:

(traditional rail fence kitchen table quilt)

Deck the Halls (snowballs)

Yuletide (this snowflake quilt)

You can read the posts related to each these
(except Sleigh Ride - there was no reveal post done)
by clicking on the Christmas Quilt label
in the list on my sidebar.

And, unless there is a very specific need
from someone very special,
I have NO plans to buy any more Christmas fabric!



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Listen to the wisdom of trees . . . 
for trees know that you can be still and grow at the same time.”  
Unknown

13 comments:

Pamela Arbour said...

I don't have a lot of Christmas fabric but I feel like you do. I won't be buying any more! I am looking forward to see your finishes before the holidays!

Cherie in St Louis said...

It seems as if I make a quilt from fabric purchased specifically for it, it takes a lot! If I make a quilt from scraps, it doesn't seem to take much at all, and there's always more scraps. Kind of the mulligan stew quilting that goes farther ;-) How many quilts would you have guessed you could make from you Christmas fabrics before you started? I love your plan....and rooting for it that it turned out well :)

Material Girl said...

I made a snowflake quilt last year too.it didn’t make a noticeable difference in my Christmas fabrics. I have made quite a few quilts and don’t need anymore. I was using some to make drawstring gift bags just to get rid of it. Good grief, I have made pillowcases and placemats too. No more Christmas fabric for me either though yours looks nicer than mine.....LOL

The Joyful Quilter said...

Very cool design, Julie!! That's going to make an awesome Christmas quilt!!

Julierose said...

All your Christmas quilts are so lovely;;
I like the Snowflake design a lot; so graphic --it says Christmas plus Winter too. I only have one Winter/Christmas quilt but am planning on another...hugs, Julierose

Rebecca said...

Oh I love the way the bit of color in the snowflake can look like colored jewels!!!

Looking forward to seeing this one!
I know I have this pattern stashed somewhere... now I need to go look for it!

Nann said...

I agree with Cheri about purpose-yardage vs. scraps! I've been winnowing my Christmas fabric stash, too. This is the first year in about 20 that I am not making a holiday=themed quilt for AAUW to raffle because the holiday luncheon will not occur this year.....but the red/green patch gives me an idea!

MissPat said...

I love Christmas fabric and have lots. And yet I hardly ever make anything with it, a table runner or two, some ornaments. I have stopped buying it, but do need to either make a plan for using some or gift it away. Thanks for the kick in the pants.
Pat

Linda Swanekamp said...

Going to order the pattern. When I signed up for her newsletter, I got a 15% coupon. Thanks for sharing all you did and linking it. I enjoyed it all.

swooze said...

Ooooh I like that!

Mari said...

I have been admiring that pattern for a long time, so I may have to go ahead and try it, too. Yay for using up those Christmas fabrics! And now you have several Christmas presents all ready to go, too. Or at least you'll be quite cozy all season! :)

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I'm with you there NOT buying any more Christmas fabric. I have one group of strips cut to take to my die cutter and cut half hexagons. That was supposed to be my Christmas in July project, wonder what I did in July?

Ann said...

I've never purchased Christmas fabric for quilting although I like to make shirts for DH with it. Fortunately my sister always needs novelty prints for snowball quilts so the scraps are often passed along quickly. Good plan to combine Christmas and snowflake. It should work well.